Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A project I am on the fence about

The husband and I share our home with 5 dogs and another human. She is commonly known as rubber duck PJ friend, S. Sometime ago I promised I would make her a warm robe from fleece. Problem, neither of us felt like putting out $ for fabric for it. I have a fairly large bunch of fleece fabric in various colours, in smaller bits and pieces. I decided I would piece the fabric, but it took a while for me to visualize the completed robe.

Last Friday, it sort of came together in my mind (while being forced to be in a meeting on my day off and feeling very annoyed and passive aggressive about it) I doodled, what I thought was a great idea. It would be Art. Everyone would gasp in wonder at the beauty of it. Of course now that I have started it, I have been having doubts about it. Of course. Don`t you hate that?

Fortunately for me, S has lower standards than I do for clothing (she would agree), and she says she will wear it no matter what it looks like anyway. She is very easy to sew for, far easier than I am actually. I wonder why I don't sew more for her? Hmm.

So anyway, back to the robe. It is Burda 2653, I made one already in July for myself, it really was a muslin for this one. I wear it every day, I love having a robe that is actually full length. So, here are some photos of what I am doing. I basically am assembling bits and pieces of fabric and when I have pieces large enough I will cut out the fabric. We decided on the serged edges being on the right side, so as not to potentially have ridges poking into the fibromyaglia riddled body of S.

 This is the fabric cut into strips.

This is smaller pieces of fabric, serged together. The serged side is the right side.
 A panel of the fabric.
With the lens cap, so you get an idea of scale.















I don't usually ask for opinions, but I want yours this time. Is this going to be the fugliest thing ever made, suitable only for washing floors with. Or will it be Art? Or something in between,  I am convinced it is all three, my cycle of confusion runs about minutes for each opinion.  Be gentle with me.

16 comments:

  1. I think it's going to look pretty cool. S has put her faith in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I think it looks pretty cool---I like the patchwork in the muted palette. You could also try flat-locking some of the serged seams---that is a pretty cool look in thick fabric and no ridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried flatlocking, it just wouldn't cooperate. I don't know if it my serger, the different weights of the fabric or my ineptitude, or a combination of all three. sigh

      Delete
    2. Actually I totally love the texture of the ridges on the outside. Poo on the technique failure, though. It's the one thing my serger seems to do pretty well...

      Delete
  3. Sometimes, a garment's beauty is in its ugliness, if that makes sense. The process it took to make it and the thought behind it can sometimes make an ugly garment pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better about it today. Thanks for the perspective.

      Delete
  4. I think it will be awesome. If you've ever seen Katwise's work, which sells out in about 30 nanoseconds after posting, you'll see that kind of outside serging as art. http://www.etsy.com/shop/katwise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! For the encouragement and for telling me about Katwise. She does awesome stuff. Wow.

      Delete
  5. Definitely art. I'm thinking it is rather Mondrian. I can't wait to see the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if Carolyn says it, it must be so. The expert has spoken! 8-)

      Thank you!!

      Delete
  6. This is precisely the sort of project that I would get into, back away from, start up again with a fresh idea to add, store it on the dress form for awhile, develop a love-hate relationship with......and eventually play with it and end up loving it! Have fun, I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we have here the hairless chihuahua of coolness. It is so different and special that it may be off-putting for the common, but those that understand will love it and want to pet it. I think the glimpse we've gotten is really enticing and I'd love to have such a one of a kind piece- it's the kind of thing that gets stolen if you travel with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colour combination. I think this is going to look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with prttynpnk...it will be so totally unique and people will ask you where you bought that cooool fabric not knowing you are an artist making your own! Can't wait for the photos of the finished robe! Be gutsy, get compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I’m Martin Reed,if you are ready to get a loan contact.Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com,WhatsApp:+1 989-394-3740 I’m giving credit to Le_Meridian Funding Service .They grant me the sum 2,000,000.00 Euro. within 5 working days. Le_Meridian Funding Service  is a  group investors into pure loan and debt financing at the  returns of 1.9% to pay off your bills or buy a home Or Increase your Business. please I advise everyone out there who are in need of loan and can be reliable, trusted and capable of repaying back at the due time of funds.

    ReplyDelete