Tuesday, November 24, 2015

refining my SWAP

blobby voile print
I have been home sick with a nasty cold/flu thingy, and I am feeling better but not enough to actually do anything productive, so of course that meant playing with my SWAP fabrics. As you may or may not have noticed, I have more than enough fabrics pulled to make 11 garments. Some need to be eliminated. This of course requires making tables and or spreadsheets. Cause I love doing that.

Two of my fabrics, although I love them and will sew them up, only go with white. They both have pink/fuchsia but not the pink/fuchsia solids that I have in the SWAP. So they are out of the SWAP plan.

I haven't made McCalls 7093, so a muslin must be made, and I will use the blobby print for that pattern. The border print needs a pattern with a straight bottom hem, so it will be a Belcarra as that is the only pattern I am using with a remotely straight hem, and I need to fine tune the fit on the Belcarra.




polka dots or dotted? border print 


I admit I am/was a little lot concerned about the fit of my garments. As I am in approximately the middle of my weight loss journey (need to lose around 20 more very stubborn pounds), and I hope to be done somewhere around the deadline of the SWAP, it will be impossible to have everything fit perfectly. However as I am sewing scrubs and well fitting scrubs are somewhat of an oxymoron, I have decided to not concern myself with this, and if necessary I can alter everything later. Although I hate, loathe, detest, and abhor altering clothing, whether I made it or not.

As I was writing this, I realized I really wanted to call the border print "polka dots", and then it occurred to me that I wasn't sure if this is a term that people outside North America use. It seems that I see the termed dotted used on British blogs? Am I right? Is polka dots a North American term? Tell me.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if they are polka dots or regular dots but I love them! Also the cold/flu thingy sucks and I share your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sympathy.It is turning into a sinus infection.

      Delete
  2. Just getting over a nasty cold/bronchitis episode myself so I too feel your pain. Love the polka dots and I look forward to seeing your new wardrobe. More and more I realize that even losing weight only requires taking in the waist of most things as we regain our indentation at the waist and maybe tighten the hips a little. Pants hems have to be taken up a little but you can always leave that until the end too or use as some of my clients do...double sided tape...that nasty stuff that never loses the stickiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the 30 I have lost so far, most of my scrub tops are huge in the shoulders and if I wanted to wear them again, I would have to take them apart and re-cut them. My scrub pants are massive in the legs and I don't believe there is any hope for them. But a friend is losing weight as well, and I am passing my too-big clothes on to her. Win win for everyone.

      I am shocked that you would think I would ever use double sided tape for hemming! Nevah!

      Delete
  3. Polka dots is the name over here too - and we dance the polka given half the chance! Nice fabrics and great SWAP plans. I would always sew clothes to fit me now. If I loose or gain in future I will have to make something new - but so what? If you lose all that weight then you will deserve a whole new wardrobe, and if you don't you have a nice SWAP wardrobe that is comfortable and flattering. I really like both these fabrics, as you do, so a second wardrobe may be needed by summer, so here's the core of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polka dots is the name over here too - and we dance the polka given half the chance! Nice fabrics and great SWAP plans. I would always sew clothes to fit me now. If I loose or gain in future I will have to make something new - but so what? If you lose all that weight then you will deserve a whole new wardrobe, and if you don't you have a nice SWAP wardrobe that is comfortable and flattering. I really like both these fabrics, as you do, so a second wardrobe may be needed by summer, so here's the core of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is your SWAP plan going? I was thinking about you the other day and thought I'd come by to see if I'd missed any posts. Hope things are awesome in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete