Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hello? Is anyone still out there?

Is anyone out there? I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up on me.

First of all, I am admitting I was shamed into this post. Yes, shamed. Fitnottofit nominated me for a Liebster award. Thank you darling girl! I thought I should write a post before responding to the nomination.

Wow. It has been a long time since I posted. Since April 25, 2014 to be exact. I thought I would include the year because it seems like it has been even longer. I have tried to post, really, truly I have. I offer as evidence excerpts from posts I have started and not finished. These may or may not get finished and may or may not show up as completed posts one day. One never knows.

I miss blogging. I have been so busy and so tired that I just haven't been able to manage it.

while back while thrift store shopping, I came across a Singer 500 (aka Rocketeer) for $25. I knew from reading other people's blogs that it was a powerful machine and could be a worthwhile addition to my sewing machine family. Then of course there was it's appearance. To me it looks like a old Buick/Chrysler/Edsel.

 I have been sewing, but it has been of an industrial kind of sewing. The kind of sewing that you have to sew. For work, and not pretty, fashionable clothes. Nope, the kind that is almost no fun at all. Why? I got a new job. Not a job doing what I want, as apparently there is a conspiracy between all employers to not hire me to do the kind of work I want to do. 

Anyway there has been lots of sewing happening in the sewing dungeon, just not blogging. I'm sure we would all agree, that if one is going to slack off on one discipline, blogging is the one that should be given up on. 

Why am I stuck on referring to myself in the third person? No idea, but it feels right. 

Anyhoo, Here is a list of what I have sewn since my last post.

The List 

Clockwise from top left, the bra (obviously, close up of dark brown scout, close up of yellow scout, close up of black pants fabric




turquoise scout, tiny pocket tank, yellow scout

turquoise linen Scout
yellow voile Scout
taupe Scout with matching scarf, to wear on head while visiting a Sikh temple
dark brown voile Scout with some very simple beading around the neckline-because it sooo boring without something extra
taupe Tiny Pocket Tank top
black pants-Loes Hinse Cruise pants, I ♥ this pattern
3 pairs sleep shorts for a friend (no photos)
matronly beige Pin Up Girls Classic band bra that doesn't quite fit


the most boring beige voile scrub ever, but it is cool, not trendy cool, but temperature cool
blue and white pattern print scrub
red and pink print scrub
pink camo print scrub
polka dot scrub
red print scrub
turquoise and black scrub
turquoise linen scrub
white scrub
yellow voile scrub -no photo (in the wash)
dark brown voile scrub-no photo (in the wash too)
green print scrub (which I hated and felt like crap in, so I gave it away to someone who looks great in it)

That is 22 garments in 4 months. I think know that is a record for me. Yes, they are all simple garments, and I was all set to feel like I was taking the easy way out by only sewing simple easy patterns. Then I thought about it and realized that even the clothes I have bought recently have been simple garments. I guess my style has evolved/devolved? to basic stuff. I could be called a style minimalist. That sounds cool, I like it. Although one day I will attempt a Koos van den Akker coat, V1377, V1331 or V1277. I WILL.

Of course, all of you will no doubt notice that scrubs feature prominently on the list. If you can read between?around? the lines above, I am now working in a nursing home, and I have to wear scrubs to work. Almost all commercially made scrubs are made from the devil's fabric, polyester. As most nursing homes have interior temperatures of somewhere between a blast furnace and that of the cauldron at Kilauea (for the comfort of the residents), the blend of poly/cotton makes for a hot and sweaty and uh, um, a rather fragrant body. Cotton and/or /linen is required (at least for me).  That explains the scrubs.

Anyway, that's all I have time for now, please forgive the bad photography, I was racing against the rain, and of course, time.  I promise I will write more soon.

28 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you again, and I can't believe you have whipped up 22 items ~ simple or not they will all be worn I am sure ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they have been well worn, if I hadn't made the 4 Scouts, I don't know what I would have worn this summer!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always great to hear from you. :) I hear you about the unfinished posts and unblogged items---my list is ridiculously long. And I find if I don't get something blogged quickly, I tend to lose interest. >_< Good luck with the not-liking-job thing. I have two right now and of course the one that pays reasonably is the one I like far less. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, you have to blog about the item sewed immediately upon completion or it is boring and never happens. Ah jobs, more to come in the next post.

      Delete
  4. I think, out of all of the scrubs, the red-printed top (with the red and orange and yellow flowers) is my favourite! Oh and the tourquoise and black one! I LOVE the stitch and bead detail on that one scout neckline. There's nothing wrong with simple sewing - better simple and wearable (I wrote swearable at first...) than complicated and sitting in your closet.

    Good luck with the new job (even if it's not the one you want). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am writing a tiny bit more about the brown scout and bead detail in the next post. The turquoise and black scrub is the hands down favourite at work too, of course the fabric cost the most as well. Isn't that always the way.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see you blog again! Of course, I haven't blogged since forever either. You've been so productive! Hope the job outlook gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you! I have been productive by necessity! Looking forward to hearing from your sewing room soon! Right?

      Delete
  6. Yay! I totally get how real life jobs stop the blogging... But at least you are still sewing! And work is good, even if it isn't really the sort of work you want to be doing. And at least you get to wear fun prints/pretty colors even if it is scrubs. The turquoise/black scrub is my favorite, by the way. Anyway, glad you are back, even if it is just to drop in and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always found work inconvenient, it gets in the way of one's life, sewing, blogging, socializing etc. Oh well, we have to eat and buy fabric, not necessarily in that order. 8-)

      Delete
  7. Why oh, why, must scrubs be made in the most unbreathable fabrics? If I wear them, my assigned color is turdlet brown- I refuse to sew boring brown fabric, so I must roast for my contrariness! I envy your turn out. Its been a sew, don't post summer for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because the whole world has gotten so lazy, and can't or won't iron anything. So polyester it is. Do you know how many people I know that don't even own an iron? It is sad.

      Delete
  8. Isn't it amazing how life can get in the way of blogging? And that we feel we must amaze with our sewing? I also have been busy and not writing as much. I totally understand. I hope the job goes well, and that you find space in your days for a post or two :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be really embarrassed compared to you, you have sold a house, bought a house, moved several states away, and you have still posted more than me.

      Delete
  9. Holy cow, you've been a busy bee! You should change the subtitle of your blog to "Elle C sews a ton and occasionally blogs about it"! I've been trying to post once a week this summer - I too have been too busy sewing and knitting to blog as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The major difference between us, is that you sew things that have more than 4 pattern pieces, and yours actually fit your body. Mine are all shapeless easy things. Which I love, but your sewing ability is far far above mine. I gave up on my goal of one post a week early in the year. oh well..........

      Delete
  10. I didn't mean to SHAME you, just wanted to gently nudge you in the direction of blogging again. And I am so glad I did!!! You have the coolest scrubs on earth, isn't it nice to have all that brand new "wardrobe"? But seriously girl, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you didn't! It was the nudge I needed to get posting again. Thank you for the nudge and the nomination.

      Delete
  11. That's a lot of sewing! And you were absent from blogland for a MUCH shorter time than I was, so there can't be any shame involved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy to have you back, Girl! Too bad you ended up sewing not-so-glamorous tops for a new job. Guess the dog minding business has been put on hold to be in the old folk minding business...oh well, hopefully this one pays better! You made some tops in great cheerful colors that hopefully the residents can see and make them smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog minding business doesn't produce much cash flow, we really do it because we love dogs. We charge a pittance, and we are licensed for it, so we only take in dogs that we know. The residents where I work are (mostly) in the latest stages of dementia, so most don't notice much of anything. Unless it's children or dogs, those two things always get a response.

      Delete
    2. make that aren't licensed for it.

      Delete
  13. I understand about the blogging, but I'm glad to hear you are sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh blogging happens when it happens. It's always good to hear from you but we shouldn't feel the need to apologize when blogging is very much at your own discretion. Sometimes there is more to say than other times. Sometimes there is lots to say and not many words to use.

    Love the scrubs. Don't knock the easy sewing, it is functional sewing that you wear day after day. As beautiful as pretty party dresses are, t shirts and scrubs are a worthy investment in time considering all the use they will see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your scrub tops! My favorite is the purple polka dot one. They will add a little bit of cheer to the day, I hope. I don't envy you your job - but hey, I've been looking for house cleaning gigs (while mine is a disaster!). However, since my father-in-law is currently in assisted living and will probably be going to the nursing home one day, I do appreciate what you do. The kindness of the nurses and other workers there makes a huge difference in his quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you're back. You've been a busy girl. I need to make scrubs for grooming the dogs. They're perfect.

    ReplyDelete