Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Welcome to Wadderville




Hard upon the heels of my Jungle January Renfrew success, I cut out another Renfrew. After all, I really like
the one I just made, I was primed for another top I loved. I forgot one eensy teensy detail.

I suck at choosing prints. 

Really suck. Which really pisses me off because so many other sewists play with prints and make pretty shiny happy things that I love, and I can't seem to manage it. It isn't fair.

Occasionally I pick one that works, but usually no no no no. I don't count animal prints as a print, I think of them as a neutral, same as stripes, polka dots, plaids, houndstooth etc. I could go on, but I won't. Herringbone. Glen check.

what on earth was I thinking?


I have to admit when I bought this print, I had my doubts. It was, I believe $2 a meter in the bargain section at Fabricland, I bought it at the same time I bought the Jungle January print and another one that is being donated, it's even worse than this one. Apparently I had money in my pocket and I felt I had to put in someone's cash register. I should know better than to shop when I am suffering from taste influenza.

The top looks bad on the hanger, it looks even worse on me. Something about the girls distorting the print or something, believe me it is bad, and you are going to have to take my word for it. No photos of this will ever be taken. Consider it my gift to the world. 

If one was flat chested. it might work. Might. Maybe. Probably Not.

I announced to the husband that I was going to toss it. He feels certain that there is a resident at the nursing home that he works at that would like it. So, instead of tossing it out, I am going to hem it and hope that someone gets some use out of it. And that people don't point and laugh at them when they wear it.

After writing the above, I went to the sewing dungeon to hem the damn thing and thought I should shorten the sleeves a little. I did, and cut off the serged edge of the sleeve, which was the only thing making hemming the fabric a possibility. So I am not donating it to anyone. 

 (I always serge the sleeve hem and the shirt hem immediately after cutting. So much easier serging it flat than doing it in the round.)

Can someone develop an ability to choose prints, or is it something you are born with? Does anyone else suck at choosing prints? Do Tell. Make me feel better.

Stashbusting: 2 meters gone forever

11 comments:

  1. Yes! I too suck at choosing prints! And I also suck at choosing proper patterns for said prints, since some of them I actually *do* love, I just don't have a clue what to do with them and am terrified to ruin them. So they sit.

    Bummer about the sleeve, someone might have loved it. But, maybe it's for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! It is a comfort to know I'm not the only one.

      Delete
  2. You might benefit from a really long piece of the fabric wrapped around your body and check it out in a mirror before you buy? Or maybe you should do baby steps and just use prints as trim for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, both are excellent ideas. I think I especially like the trim idea.

      Delete
  3. I'm horrible at choosing prints. I can just about manage basics like spots and stripes, but anything more complex and it all goes horribly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should we start a support group? I always felt like I was the only one, it is lovely to know I'm not alone.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Carole...find a mirror, wrap yourself in it and decide. If you need to use it, use it in small places or break it up in just sleeves or neck binding...can you salvage it and recycle it into underpants? How about a dog tunic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs Mole, once again I bow to your greatness! Of course, I will make panties! I was thinking of cutting it into strips for bindings as well. Is this fabric too much for that too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine a plain black t-shirt with that binding...pretty jazzy...or make extra panties for family members...think of how powerful you would feel wearing those colors under your boring jeans/chinos. What about a simple tank top worn under boring black sweats...that would liven you up and not overwhelm you. Using dramatic prints in small places can work...good luck!

      Delete
  6. Interesting! I've always been able to look at a piece of fabric,even prints, and picture the finished item. I thought everyone could. Then my Mom told e how lucky I was to have this gift and asked if I'd help her choose fabrics. I was surprised but maybe you can shop with a buddy who can match prints with patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a fun print to me, but then what do I know? (I rarely use prints. Also, I bought zebra-stripe fleece last week, in two colourways. Feel free to judge.) I can see it being, um, a bit much, though. I like all the suggestions for trim, bindings, and undies. And, well, there's always a next time.

    I keep buying prints in variations of black, white, and red... I think it's a weakness.

    ReplyDelete