Monday, January 20, 2014

Selfless Sewing, Scrubs, Stashbusting and Alliteration

I am the best wife.

My first sewn garments of 2014 were not for me. I know, shocking. I wasn't even guilted or manipulated into selfless sewing. Sainted, I am or I should be. I believe the paper work is on it's way to the Vatican. I can hear some of you mumbling "get on with it will ya". Shut up and be patient.

I made more scrubs for The Husband. Three of them. I used my standard Simplicity 2769, now OOP. I;m not sure how many times I have made this pattern, but I believe it is around 20 times. I have transferred the pattern to thin cardboard and have the pattern hanging from a nail in the sewing dungeon. Easier and faster than unfolding tissue and pressing and trying not to tear it to pieces. I do this for all patterns I sew on a regular basis. Sorbetto, for example. 

Simplicity 2769

And without further ado, here they are.
This one is made from quilting cotton (from Hawaii) that someone gave my husband. Check out the pattern
matching on the pocket. Dazzling isn't it? I could only match the pattern on the chest pocket.
I hate it when I can't match the prints on all pockets. I think I die a little every time I have to do it.


This one is made from a poly cotton sheet, very heavily on the poly, the fabric is very thin and won't last very long. More pattern matching on the pocket.

This one is also poly cotton with more cotton than Batman, if you look closely at the photo on the right,
 you can see the pocket sewn into the side seam.
Sheets are obviously not the best choice for scrubs, but the two sheets I used, were, in a word, Cheap. Like $3 each. The other thing about making scrubs from sheets is the very large print, which translates well to a scrub top. If you ever decide to sew scrub tops, I have an easy, faster way to sew the lower pockets. Ignore the pattern piece for the lower pockets. Make a new pattern for the pocket 9 X 12 inches, bigger pockets are always better. I enclose one side of the pocket in the side seam and do the same for the bottom of the pocket. So you only have to finish and top stitch one side of the pocket to the scrub. It also makes it much harder to rip the pocket off the scrub, something The Husband excels at. If you look closely at the photos you will notice I sew the corners of the pocket on with a satin stitch, again because nice pretty top stitching doesn't hold up to The Husband's abuse. Since I made these two modifications to the pockets, I rarely have to mend his scrubs.   

Stashbusting down 2 meters of quilting cotton and 2 sheets. It's a start.




22 comments:

  1. Sassy scrubs, sensational sewing and a shitload of great tips! Woo-Who! Now the question is "where does the hubby work?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be a much nicer wife than I am. ;) Does hubby work in a pediatric ward?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. Hubby must feel much more happy going off to work in such fun duds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of his scrubs are kind of crazy, these could be considered tame. 8-)

      Delete
  4. I think it's great that you made them and great that he wears them! They must be a real talking point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He only has three that I haven't made, they don't make many/any? fun scrubs for men. They are such an easy sew, it is fun.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the scrubs you've made for hubbie!! And, yes. that pattern matching is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! The Spiderman one is probably my favorite. I don't know why. Just cuz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone knows Spiderman is cooler.

      Delete
  7. Nice scrubs!! And much more fun than the scrubs I used to wear. The Husband is lucky .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im embarrased to admit how many times Ive stood up and caught my scrubs on the desk drawer and pockets do suffer! I wish they'd let us wear some fab prints like these- total envy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've mentioned before that you can only wear boring scrubs. That is just so wrong. I thought the whole point of scrubs is to wear prints that you would never wear otherwise.

      Delete
  9. But you ARE the best wife! I tend to make mine the same pair of sweatpants, approx. once a year. Love the modification to the pocket, sewing it into side seam is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yours is just lucky you make anything for him, and you can tell him I said so. 8-)

      Delete
  10. How fun! What a fabulous start to the stash busting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't sewn a lot for Rob, a few things when we were first married, but I used to sew a lot for my brothers when I was single. I liked making men's clothes because they're much simpler then women's. I like the scrubs and may make some for us for when we trim the dogs. Whatever we wear gets totally covered with f=hair and it even weaves itself thru the fabric. Scrubs would be ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a brilliant idea! Why on earth haven't I thought of it! They would work really well if they were made from poly/cotton scrub fabric, which I hate, but it would shed the hair beautifully. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  12. Those are awesome! I can see Pope Francis approving the paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea about putting it on cardboard! Simplicity 6693 (retro western shirt) has just been copied onto poster paper for the same reason, then stored in a page protector. I don't have enough room in the sewing nook for cardboard patterns, but that is a great idea.

    And I think I may try this pattern w/ fleece...for pajamas!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a good person. I hate sewing for others. I still gloat about fixing my boyfriend's hiking pants, including replacing the zip (first time I've ever done that, too)! Doesn't really come close to making multiple sets of work gear for someone though. Hats off to you, Saint Elle, Patron Saint of Selfless Sewists (or those who pretend to be). :)

    ReplyDelete