Friday, January 31, 2014

Jungle in the Snow and Stashbusting


this photo is dark because of the snow-this is the best I could make
it, even with Photoshop

Finally Anne, my Jungle January post. I just made it.

I am taking the easy way out and will steal borrow the template from pattern review. So much easier than trying to be clever and witty when I'm in a rush.

Pattern Description: The Renfrew Top is a fitted knit top with sleeve and neckline variations. View A has long sleeves and a scoop neckline. View B has short sleeves and a deep V neckline. View C has a dramatic cowl neckline and three-quarter length sleeves.  I made view C with long sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: 0-16. I used 16 even though I a little larger than the measurements. Fits perfectly.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Exactly. Except for the banded hems which I didn't use.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the fit, it works for me right out of the envelope.

Fabric Used: a drapey poly knit, that I found in the bargain section at Fabricland last year.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I don't care for the banded hems, so I leave them off and lengthen the sleeves and body. I believe they were designed this way to make hemming easier. I have a cover stitch machine, so that isn't an issue for me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, and yes, I will make it again. I will be cutting out another one, or maybe two this afternoon. I can't recommend this pattern highly enough.

Conclusion: IMO a drapey knit is essential for the cowl version of this top to work, and this fabric is nothing if not drapey. 
Front

Front

Back

Back to non template writing. I have finally found a knit fabric that my sewing machine doesn't hate. I didn't even use my walking foot (just realized that). The only issue I had with this fabric was the curling, like that's a surprise with a knit, right? 

I assembled this with sewing machine, serger, and cover stitch machine. I really enjoyed sewing with all three machines, it feels like such a luxury. I guess because it is. I have to admit I got an amazing deal on my cover stitch, it is the Janome 900CP, I bought it from an acquaintance for $100. I was very very lucky.

Have you made a Renfrew yet?
Gratuitous cute dog photo.
Ricky enjoying some rare winter sunshine.

9 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's some crazy fabric! Your pattern placement is awesome!

    I think I'm the last sewist on earth who has never sewn a Renfrew. It's just not for me even though I've seen countless great versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I love this!! The fabric and print pattern placement are fabulous!. And, you know I loves me a cowl neck! I also have trouble with knits. I just blogged my Jungle January Gunmetal and had all sorts of problems with the various knits. I may have to resort to a poly knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Clio, I haven't sewn the Renfrew either, although I'm seriously dithering about buying the pattern. Such a well-loved pattern, that's for sure!

    Elle, I LOVE your fabric! How awesome is that?! Wild and fun, and yet it still looks wearable! :) You did a fantastic job, working with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Renfrew for me yet...no sewing for me at all with the bridal season already in full swing...sigh. Love your top and choice of fabric! So glad it fit well and you are motivated to make more...who doesn't need some jazzy new tops to sit and await Spring and the return of the sun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I also have not sewn a Renfrew... But I love yours, the print is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this fabric and the top. It's some kind of special and different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pattern placement on the shirt. That's a great Renfrew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this top! What fabulous fabric.

    ReplyDelete