Monday, January 13, 2014

First Monday Post of 2014

Finally I am showing the t-shirts I made from the fabric I dyed back in December  oops November. It took me several weeks to decide how to place the various patterns. To be perfectly honest, I made myself a little crazy, I was even having nightmares. sigh. It's only fabric, I told myself, not the Sistine Chapel, so cut it out already. So I did. Eventually.

front on the left, back on the right

This is the first one. I really liked the tree ring fabric, but I was concerned about using it on the front, I thought it might make the girls look odd and unbalanced, so I used it on the back.  One plain sleeve and one striped sleeve. I used Vogue 8793, eliminating the collar as the in the Craftsy course The Ultimate T-shirt.  Of course because I am an idiot I didn't check my measurements against the pattern. Dumbass. So this t-shirt doesn't fit all that well, but as usual my weight is in flux so what fits one week might not the next so who gives a crap. Once I assembled it, I really regretted not putting the tree ring fabric on the front, but I do like how I didn't center the circle on the back, so I made another.

front on the left and the back on the right

This time I made a Renfrew, without the bands and this time I used the tree ring on the front, donuts on the back and plain sleeves. I really like the way this turned out, but of course I wish I had made a scoop or a roundish neckline instead of a v neck, of course. There has to be something I don't like.

Overall this was a great experiment, and I probably have enough fabric to make another one, I think I will make the next one short sleeved and over sized for the gym.

I have more of this fabric to dye and make another top or two. This time I will tie only the tree ring pattern and the colour will be purple.

I so love dyeing fabric and I am hoping for a really big snowfall to happen when I have a day off so I can play and experiment with snow dyeing. I have no idea what I will do with the fabric, but I don't care. It's fun.

What do you think? Have I tempted you to try your hand at dyeing?


12 comments:

  1. uou are one brave so lol! I have never tried my hand at dyeing fabric, I have a few things pinned on pinterest on how to dye scarves but that's as far as I've gotton, just reading about it lol! nice job on your tee's
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not hard at all, but it is a bit addictive!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love the tree ring fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it was you that first referred to the fabric as looking like tree rings-so you named it!

      Delete
  3. This is just so cool it could become addictive! I'm going to have to go back to the pages where you show how you did it to see if this is something I could try. Be careful though, wearing interesting t-shirts at the gym might cause gals to want you to make them for them in all sizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me with any questions, it really isn't that difficult at all. And yeah, it's addictive.

      Delete
  4. Wow, these came out great! I love the patterned dyeing. I have fabric dyes and paints but have yet to give.it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! You gotta try it, it is so much fun. I strongly suggest you don't use RIT dyes (RIT is sh!t) and use Procion dyes from either Dharma or Jacquard, so much more stable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have dyed fabric before, but I ended up with pieces that were in different colors and had no idea what to do with them. So clever of you to use the same color, but different techniques on pieces of the same fabric, so that you could create these awesome t shirts. I love them. Can't wait to see what your purple dying session generates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for bringing it up! I was sitting here wondering what I was going to do today. I had completely forgotten about dyeing more fabric! Off I go now.

      Delete