Monday, January 27, 2014

Finishing UFO's


Which I didn't even know I had cut out/started. They are good old Kwik Sew 2908, now unfortunately OOP. I found them when I was shoveling out the sewing dungeon, aka the basement. Which is where all the stuff goes when we want to hide it from people who may come over to judge us see us. So shoveling out the sewing dungeon almost always yields some treasures.
K2908
Back on topic. I have no idea when I cut these out, or where the fabric came from. I know I don't own any clothes made from either of these fabrics, and I also know that I don't have any more of these fabrics hanging about. Tis a mystery, and likely to remain so.

As you can probably tell, I made the full brief, I think full briefs show fewer pantie lines. Unless of course you are wearing low rise trousers. I also find panties I make myself seem to show less as well. In case you are thinking I spend a lot of time thinking about pantie lines, let me tell you I come by it honestly. My mother was obsessed with them, and in her late 60's started wearing thongs because they didn't create pantie lines. I hate thongs and find them uncomfortable, and as my friend H says, I have spent my life pulling my underwear out of my crack and now they want me to put it there? Uh, no.

I think it is a shame that KS has discontinued this pattern, it is an excellent pattern, which fits me very well. The one thing about this pattern is the crotch area is strangely wide, but that is easy enough to fix, just trim a little with a rotary cutter. I do sew my panties a little differently than the instructions. I sew the elastic to the right side of the fabric with the picot (if any) away from the edge, stretching the elastic to fit the fabric. Then I turn the elastic to the inside and use my cover stitch machine to do a nice finished edge. One of my favourite uses for my cover stitch machine.
sorry it's blurry-it was getting dark when I took this

How about you? What is your preference for underwear? Full brief, bikini, thong, tanga? Are you obsessed with pantie lines? How do you resolve the pantie line issue?




11 comments:

  1. I like a bikini or a low-rise brief for general wear, although at that time of the month there is nothing more comfortable than "granny panties". My boyfriend mocks me horribly when I wear them, but then I just point out his holy ancient pair that've been bleached all to heck (they were once black - now a strange mottled brown-grey) that he insists are the most comfortable things on the planet, and then he stops mocking me. I think he fears me tossing them out.

    Your panties here are adorable! I love the coloured elastic and I ADORE those colourful flower ones! Nice job. Although if you don't remember ever starting them...are you sure they're yours?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine anyone else sneaking into my house and stuffing unfinished underwear in a pile of sh!t, so yeah I think they're mine. 8-D

      I got the coloured elastic in Vancouver at a wonderful store called Dressew, check it out on PR or on Yelp. I think Tasia also did a review on it, with photos. It is a wonderful place,

      Delete
    2. Haha fair enough. Although I could see slipping in one of my UFO's into someone else's UFO pile in hopes that it'd be more enticing to someone else get completed someday! Of course, then you'd probably not get it back, and I don't think I'd try that with panties. BUT MAYBE!

      Delete
  2. It's funny that you do a post on sewing undies, since I am desperately in need of making some new ones after pregnancy ruined my last batch, and I was just telling hubby that I needed to get downstairs and try to get some made up. :-)

    TBH, I can't say that I ever really think about panty lines, probably because I wear jeans so much? I tend to gravitate towards the full brief as well, though I've made a few of the other styles for recreational purposes. I really thought once that I'd like those cheeky lace ones, but um, NO. I'm in complete agreement with your friend H. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that once you get started you can sew them assembly line style and get a bunch done in no time, so get sewing!

      Delete
  3. I am also obsessed with panty lines. I think the key to avoiding them is, like you say, full coverage on the bum and also to make sure that they are large enough so the elastic doesn't cut-in. I used to get mine at Old Navy, but they have since discontinued selling undies. Now I like the seamless low rise and bikini cut at Target. I've never made any, and I probably won't since I can easily buy them. Yours are adorable though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I feel I "should" make my own underwear, but I do. Maybe because the ones I make last soooo much longer than bought ones. Even more expensive ones just don't last.

      Delete
  4. I love this post on so many levels. First, we just don't let anyone thru the front door so they can't comment on the mess. Secondly, perhaps someone is using your basement when you're not looking and has made themselves some undies. Third, I'm in agreement about thongs, but I like French cut bikinis. I will admit that I most go commando.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who live with too many dogs understand about less than optimum housekeeping. Although you have twice as many as we do. If someone did break into the house to use the basement, more than likely they would end up with a broken neck at the foot of the basement stairs, The little ones can't guard, but they can trip people very well. 8-D

      Delete
  5. Haha! My sewing room is where everything gets shoveled, too... and it's so tiny it requires weekly shoveling out, though it doesn't always get it.

    I'm firmly in the anti-thong camp. I like low-rise bikini briefs or boy-short styles; I think some of my faves are old 70s patterns, with nice butt coverage. I don't really obsess about panty-lines, but if I do feel the need to minimize them, I like a soft edge, either with no elastic (some of my RTW examples are like this on the leg edge) or a stretch-lace finish. I do my picot elastic the same way you do except that I don't have a coverstitch (man you have the best toys!) so I use a triple-stitch zig-zag, which is a nice enough look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like my cheeky lace panties. It has to be at least 5" of wide lace elastic with good recovery. They aren't bad for pantie lines because there isn't a ridge to the edge but sometimes I have to smooth them out as pulling up my pants will make them ripple a little. If not those panties, then low cut full bottoms.

    ReplyDelete