Monday, November 18, 2013

dyeing some fabric

I have mentioned in passing that I live in a fabric desert. One fabric store, and a chain one at that, doesn't make for fun fabric shopping. Sure, there is always something you want, but when you want to make a t-shirt in the style of the Tilton sisters with 3 or more coordinating fabrics that aren't polyester or plain poly cotton interlock, fuhgeddaboudit.

So after watching The Ultimate T-Shirt Craftsy course, of course I went out looking for fabrics. Uh, no. There was nothing that got me. There was however this.

it is white, not gray, and the wrinkles are permanent

It was in the discount/mystery content/el cheapo section for $3 a meter. It appears to be a cotton blend, possibly with rayon and maybe a little polyester. I love finding knits in the discount section, especially when they aren't of the petro chemical variety, so I bought it. All of it, 9.2 meters of it. I would have bought more.

The plan is to dye the fabric, using tie dye and shibori methods. I plan on dyeing the fabric three or four different ways, but all in the same dye colour. A different method for each pattern piece. I still haven't decided on which tying/resist pattern for front, back, sleeves, and neck band. 

I only use Jacquard Procion MX dyes, which only work on cellulose fibers, and as I don't know what the fabric is made from, I had to do the most boring of all things and actually test. Sigh. 

forgive the crappy iPhone photos, with all the water and soda ash etc my DSLR wasn't getting near this mess
I played around with chip clips, tying beads into the fabric (donuts), thin elastics, fat elastics, and just plain tying the fabric in knots. None of which helped me make a decision, but was fun nonetheless. 

the finished test samples, chip clips on the right
As you can see the fabric took the dye pretty well, I'm thinking at most it has 10% poly. So this means I get to move forward on my plans. Stayed tuned.

8 comments:

  1. What a fun project! The chip clips looks awesome! I've heard good things about the Procion dyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rit is Sh*t. By comparison. I have t-shirts that I dyed 5 years ago that are just as bright as the first day.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I love the colours and designs on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the final product isn't going to be this color, I used this because I only had a little left. I am thinking black, but that could change.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. It's a fantastic way to get coordinating fabrics and a steal at $3/m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like fun. I've never tried dying. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that you haven't tried dyeing fabric. It is so much fun. You would love it.

      Delete