Friday, July 26, 2013

so far behind on blogging

So. Far. Behind. Sewing has happened. Much sewing.

I just can't seem to get around to photographing the much sewing that has happened. Sorry ladies. Soon. Maybe.

Stop judging me.

While playing around with Google Earth today, we found our house has been photographed recently. I find it incredibly amusing that you can clearly see two Frisbees and our clothesline in our backyard.  Funny, no? Glad I wasn't sunbathing naked. On the other hand it would just look like a large white blob of something or other. Go to and see what is in your backyard. I dare you.
the white and yellow circles are Jasper's Frisbees

If you are in need of having a good laugh (and really, who isn't), wander over to The Bulwer-Lytton fiction writing contest website and have a look. The contest is named for the Victorian era writer Edward Bulwer-Lytton whose novel, "Paul Clifford" began with, "It was a dark and stormy night". The contest is to write the worst possible opening sentence to a fictitious novel. The entries are funny beyond description, I have entered a few times but have never reached the pinnacle of Dishonorable Mention. Oh well, I would like to have it on my resume that I won a fiction writing contest. Wouldn't have to say it was a bad fiction writing contest. Would I?

I highly recommend NOT drinking a beverage while reading on your electronic device and if you insist on doing so, you can't blame me. I warned you. 


11 comments:

  1. What a fun site for writers! I'll share it with my husband who writes for a living so like sewing for brides, has little time to write for himself or pleasure. Just checked my house on Google to see it has not been photographed since 2001...when all the trees were overgrown, yard is a sorry state just before we moved in and cleaned it up. Fingers crossed one day you will be honored in the badly written stories website...I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kind of writing wouldn't take much time, I expect to see your husband's entrie(s) win next year. It might actually be kind of cathartic. Like back in the day when I had to write (what seemed like) endless staff reviews. I would amuse myself by writing really bad ones. For instance. "Jane is capable of performing simple tasks with constant supervision, requiring neither staff or customer contact." Fun fun fun.

      Delete
  2. That is exactly the sort of contest I would love to win too! LOL That said, I always thought that "It was a dark and stormy night" originally came from A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle (a childhood favorite). But I suppose she was just being witty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh promise me you will enter next year, maybe we could get a bunch of sewists together and make them create a sewing themed category?

      Delete
  3. Elle, the contest is priceless. DH loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you had my Frisbee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish you had warned me sooner. I spilled coffee on my Kindle when Sydney jumped onto my lap unexpectedly. No harm done.

    I will check out the contest, I could use a good laugh and I'll check out my back yard. Maybe some of the dogs were out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husbands grandmother was weeding her front flower garden when the Google maps car drove by, you get a lovely view of her backside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the caption at the top of your blog, that is so me too! There is nothing exciting in my backyard on Google Earth. The street view picture was taken before we renovated our front garden so it's weird seeing it like it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can see are gaps in the garden where the dog ate my plants. Shame I can see that from space.

    Thanks for the link- that is TOO funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great contest! Thanks for the heads up...I would hate to see my unkempt yard in google earth...but I' glad you enjoyed seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete