Friday, June 7, 2013

Alert the Media! Part one.

I have contacted Reuters, Associated Press, CNN, CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp), BBC, but not FOX news (for obvious reasons). For some reason they don't feel the information I am about to share with you is news worthy. Humpf. What do they know anyway? Now that I have your interest. Here we go.

I sewed. Yup, that's right I sewed. In spite of the way it appeared, I hadn't been kidnapped and held hostage for my impressive sewing book collection, I wasn't being held for questioning by the stash police, wasn't on a top secret mission finding the world's rarest fabric, oh no. Just suffering from lost mojoitis. No, not mojitos, mojoitis. I just couldn't get going. All that changed this week.

I made this.

What is it, you ask? It is a holder for my earbuds for when I go to the gym. More than once I have arrived there without any means of listening to music thereby keeping my butt on the treadmill for the required amount of time. Now that my membership card is attached to them I can't go without them.I love the fabrics I used on this, the colours make me smile every time I see it.
















I finished a caftan that I started months ago. It is Vogue 7335 now OOP. I have had this pattern forever, it came out in 2001 and I bought it pretty soon after that. On Pattern Review there is a consistent opinion that this is way oversized. Hell yeah it's big. I made a size 16, and I am a size 20 or 22 (on a bad day), I also am broad shouldered, and this hangs off me like those sweatshirts they wore in Flashdance, not really the look I was going for. That isn't to say I don't like it, I do. It will be perfect for lounging about the house when the stupid hot days of summer arrive. It made from one of the worlds ugliest prints (think of fishbones on acid), a rayon from my stash (I think it was thrifted, I hope it was really cheap). It was intended as a wearable muslin. Next one will be considerably smaller. Mark this as a win.








Next up Butterick 5504, Connie Crawford shorts or capris. Let me say right away that these are most definitely not a win. I am not sure whether that is the fault of the pattern or the fabric I chose or both. The fabric was in my stash (thrifted) and is cotton twill with lycra. I have read other people describing fabric as being spongy and I was never quite sure what they meant by spongy.  Now I do. If you want to know what spongy fabric feels like, let me know and I will mail you some 8-). I think if I made these in a drapier fabric, I might be able to fix whateverthehell is wrong with them, but with this fabric, no way I am willing to try. They do some really strange things, for instance in the front crotch area there is fabric pooling there, which as I am sure you can imagine is less than attractive.  Apparently when I walk strange movement occurs on the legs. These are too awful to photograph. My camera might break. Sorry, you are just going to have to take my word for it.
B5504


Next up (I told you I sewed), Loes Hinse Cruise Pants. I made the cropped pant, in a linen cotton blend. Instant Love♥. The pattern goes together like a dream and fits well. I'm not saying they fit perfectly but as my weight is in flux I am not willing to spend a bunch of time fitting something that won't fit perfectly in a little while anyway. I have barely been out of these pants since I made them, except to wash them to take photos. WIN.


It is so nice to be back to sewing, you don't realize how much you love it until you haven't sewn for awhile. Stay tuned for part two.



13 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on getting back into the sewing room and also making up several projects! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am glad to hear you are well and back in the saddle. Looks like your mojo came back with a vengance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, Elle! I'm so glad to hear you have re-connected to the mojo! The earbud holder is particularly inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, look at you go! So glad to see you sewing again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Vogue dress is making me very happy- I love that print and it looks so floaty and comfy- love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like you are wearing nothing. I love rayon in the summer.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic, you have been busy! Yay, for returning sew-jo! I actually love the purple dress with fish bones on acid print. Love it!
    And sorry, I do feel your pain, but I laughed at the descriptor "too awful to be photographed"! We've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but I am not bothered at all anymore when something doesn't work out. I really enjoy the process and as long as I produce some wearable items I am happy.

      Delete
  7. Love the fishbone dress! Sorry to hear the CC shorts did not work. Do they fit any better if you pull the front up higher and move the elastic? I made 3 of these in linen and rayon linen blend and they are roomy but with the center front leg seam they can be narrowed. I did not use the sport elastic/drawstring feature...I don't need anything flapping around over my tummy so I just used regular elastic and folded the top edge over.
    Once the CBC hears about your accomplishments...don't be surprised if they turn up on your doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't put in the elastic, I tied a string around my waist and moved them up and down, and no matter what I did they were awful. I think it is more the fault of the fabric than the pattern. I will try them again soon in a much lighter weight drapier fabric.

      Delete
  8. I am so impressed and jealous. I have a new electronic embroidery machine that I'm dying to play with but I feel I must get so many other things done before I can relax and sew. I wish I could just forget about all the other stuff and lock myself in the studio and stitch away.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete