Saturday, January 19, 2013

My resewlutions for 2013

These fabrics are literally on my cutting table, to be cut and sewn soon.
100% polyester 

both are rayon lycra and a total beyotch to sew

no idea what this is made of, it is black with a little bit of a metallic
something or other running through it-I think this will be a little cardigan


 6 meters (what was I thinking?) of black waffle knit, I also have several
meters of the same fabric in gray
Since I completely missed out on adding my resewlutions to Karen`s jar, I was too busy playing with my new toy crafting tool, a Silhouette Cameo, to read blogs, so I am just catching up now.  I have spent a lot of time (1 day) thinking about what I want to accomplish sewing-wise in the next 11 ½ months.

I want to do some stash busting (now there is something you haven't read before!), and the goal has to be achievable and practical. My current job doesn't require me to dress like a grown up, so I live in t-shirts and jeans, or variables on t-shirts and jeans. I am also on a weight loss journey. Making tailored suits and Chanel jackets would just be silly at this point. Yeah right, like I would be capable of producing either. The fabric closet of requirement does have have fabric suitable for both though.

Having just made two t-shirts while participating in Jungle January, I realized what a satisfying sewing project they can be. They meet the criteria, practical and achievable, I have a number (a lot more than I thought) of knits in the stash, and they aren't fitted so I can make them a tiny bit smaller so I can wear them longer while losing weight.

In 2013, I will become comfortable and competent when sewing knits. I will sew every t-shirt pattern in my stash. I will find and/or create a TNT (tried and true pattern) t-shirt. I will experiment with different neckline finishes and seam finishes. I may even try my hand at stencilling or screen printing (silk screening is a misnomer, almost no screens use silk anymore, polyester is cheaper and more durable and it really bugs me when people use the term silk screening), beading or other forms of embellishment.

The patterns that I will sew for sure this year. In case you didn't notice, I like the Tiltons. In my next life I will come back as the far less talented third sister.

I will sew all of these at least once this year, except (maybe) the Burda on the
far right.
Vogue 8793 Katherine Tilton
Vogue 8690 Katherine Tilton
Vogue 8817 Katherine Tilton
Vogue 8636 Marcy Tilton
Vogue 8671 Marcy Tilton
Vogue 8497 Marcy Tilton
Vogue 8582 Marcy Tilton,
Vogue 8559 Marcy Tilton
Stretch and Sew 324
Kwik Sew 2759
Kwik Sew 2874








Butterick  5215 Connie Crawford (already cut out) of the pink fabric in the second photo
Simplicity 4076-already sewn-definitely not my TNT
Vogue 8536-already sewn-could be TNT, if I lower the neckline

I very likely will sew things other than knit garments. When I do, I resolve to "up" my game, mastering flat felled seams and the like, not just serging a seam finish.

Now that I have put this out there, I will have to follow through. Won't I?

16 comments:

  1. Totally loving the pink and orange, and loving that you are sewing again! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have your work cut out!! Go for it, looking forward to the read :D

    Bundana x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Andrea said - so glad to see you sewing! Your upcoming projects look like they'll be great additions to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks like you are going to be very busy. Love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a list you have there, but t-shirts are pretty quick to sew. I'm sure you'll achieve your goals and you'll have some good basics for your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks LIke I just need to follow you around- you have stylish sewing for real life down- I need that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah come with. I will drag you kicking and screaming into adulthood! It isn't that bad, really!

      Delete
  7. Woot! Great list. :) also great pattern pile.

    I don't know if I mentioned that I am totally jealous of your new toy? Hubs and I used to laboriously hand-cut stencils all the time... The idea of being able to print one? Well, I'd be stenciling EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new toy/tool is amazing, it does cut fabric too, should be fun for appliques and stuff. I will post when I make something sewing related from it.

      Delete
  8. It does seem ambitious, but those are some great patterns you've selected! You will have some great new clothes. I *love* that fabric with the threads/yarns going through it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to have you back! Can't wait to see your makes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some terrific fabric and patterns waiting to be made up :)
    wrt you comment, I remember that this time last year you hated me for having summer too. Please don't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like knits for pretty much the reasons you list. I don't understand why people are afraid of a fabric that will stretch as needed. 5lbs here or there and they are still wearable. Sew the side seams in a little and you'll wear it for a little longer. Sounds like a good resewlution to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to all that production!!! Coni Crawford has that T-shirt pattern on her website: http://www.fashionpatterns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14
    and she has developed more versions of this with precise cut measurements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typo...precise "cup" measurements....sorry

      Delete
  13. Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts, I haven't commented before now, as I was ill all weekend. 8-( Better now. Sewing will happen today.

    ReplyDelete