Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's Jungle January!


In the Jungle January post dated January 7, there was mention of several JJ participants who showed off by sewing garments for their children as well as for themselves. I, of course could not be outdone. The fact that I am without human children could not stop me. Oh no. I made a t-shirt for myself and my daughter girl dog, Karma. Game on people.

Yes, I am one of those people who put clothes on their dogs. I feel this is how they earn their incredibly cushy lives. My particular favourite thing to put on them is booties, you haven't lived until you have seen a dog try to walk for the first time with booties on their feet. Do a search on YouTube. It is hysterical. It isn't entirely for my own amusement that I do this, when it gets to below -20 C (-4 F), the cold hurts their feet, so we do it for their sakes. Every dog loses one outside once and they experience the cold on one foot, the next time they don't fight having them put on. They get it.
Yes, I am aware of the irony of a jungle cat print on a dog.
She is quite cat like with her divaness. She has earned the right to wear it.
Karma's was made from OOP McCalls 5125, size XS (as I wish I was). She isn't nearly as pleased with her t-shirt as I am, she growls at anyone and everyone that comes near her when she is wearing it. She looks adorable in it though and it suits her colouring, don't you agree?

For my t-shirt I used Vogue 8536. It is rated very easy and it is. I made it, hoping to find a TNT, and it is close, but not quite. The neckline looks lower on the pattern drawing than it is, if it was an inch or two lower, it may have made the cut. 

It would have been made in probably under three hours, if I hadn't had to do battle with my cover stitch machine. One of the threads got caught invisibly in my drafting lamp and the resulting disaster was a complete bitch nightmare to rip out. The fabric is 100% polyester, not my favourite fabric to wear (too warm and clammy usually) , but there was no natural fabrics at the evil Fabricland, only petroleum based.  I did it for you Anne.


close up of fabric and close up of cover stitch hem
All in all, this was a fun, quick and satisfying project. I love this t-shirt and I will wear it, which is always a good thing. 

15 comments:

  1. Oh, oh- this is too special! I appreciate you aqnd Karma's sacrifices to the fashion gods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On first glance at the top picture, prior to reading beyond the title, I was a little confused by the floating dog head and paws you seemed to be holding. On second glance (after reading) I realized it's because his shirt blended into yours.

    Three cheers for fun, quick, and satisfying projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her shirt! Boys don't wear animal prints, well, not yet anyway. 8-) I didn't actually notice that until your comment. It does look odd, doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. Ah my apologies to Karma, I was clearly not paying enough attention to specifically saying girl dog. I slap my wrist on Karma's behalf.

      I guess the whole point of animal prints is to blend into their environment. ;)

      Delete
  3. Love that print. Too bad it's processed fossil fuel. Karma's top is way cute, too. And about the neckline on your top, I have yet to use a pattern drawing for a t- shirt that shows the neckline the way it's drafted in the pattern. I don't know why they can't get that one right!
    Cute tops, darling doggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it isn't just me misinterpreting pattern envelopes.

      Karma thanks you.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love this! cross dressing dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. I so wish that I had thought of that! My dog is a cross dresser.

      Delete
  5. haha - love the dog dressed as a cat. how cute is she? (and you too of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karma is far cuter than I am (or ever was). But thank you!

      Delete
  6. How cute. Love both tops. Very nice - even if it is the evil poly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's cute! matching tops, such a fun idea! Do you take her walkies while you're both wearing the Tshirts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric! It is super cute!

    ReplyDelete