Saturday, January 5, 2013

Happy New Year!

I see a lot of great bloggers are writing end of the year posts detailing their successes and some are writing about their (perceived) failures. I was considering it. Decided not to. No reason, I just didn't feel like it, sue me.

With one exception. If a garment`s success is defined by how much it is worn, I have two major successes (not counting the panties I made, they are far too boring to write about, again). The two robes I made from Burda 2653. One I made for me and the other one for a friend. Each of these robes have been worn EVERY DAY since they were produced. Every single day.  Both of them are washed in the morning so as to be ready to be worn at the end of the day. An unqualified success, so much so that I am going to make another for me soon.

Everyone seems to be doing end of the year posts and I haven't. Why you ask (you are nosy, aren't you?), well, I got a new toy for Christmas and I have been a little obsessed with it. It is a craft cutter, a Silhouette Cameo. I am so obsessed that Amy B.,  who follows me on Pinterest noticed the avalanche of Silhouette pins applied to my new Silhouette Cameo board. The things you can do with that thing are endless. Pretty soon any flat surface in my home and car will be covered with vinyl decorations, distant family who I haven't seen for years will start getting birthday, anniversary and Groundhog Day cards from me, I will be having dinner parties in order to have a reason cut out place cards, a chalkboard menu board will be made for the dinner parties, the birthday cakes I make will now be cupcakes so I can produce cupcake wrappers for them, glass canisters will be etched with the contents, if a garment needs an applique (and you know that will happen)  it will be a ridiculously intricate one that couldn't possibly be cut by human hands, my niece will have nail stencils for applying her nail polish, everything will have a custom label, the dogs are worried about this last one, fortunately for them, the vinyl doesn't stick to fur (not for long anyway). The list goes on and on and on and on and on.

That is what I have been doing.

Anne, I promise to still play with you in Jungle January. I promise. Really.

11 comments:

  1. As soon as you finish Jedi school- no rush- we'll be waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha awesome. Sounds like a fun new toy!

    I didn't do a summary post last year, despite EVERYONE EVER doing one, mostly because I just didn't feel like it. lol

    I love your housecoats. I need to make one myself, desperately. But in usual Heather fashion (or possibly in usual every sewist ever fashion), I'm making StephC's Tiramisu dress instead. BUT THE HOUSECOAT IS NEXT I SWEAR! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I have never had a robe that is full length before (I am 5'8"), it is so lovely to have it long enough. For that reason alone, I will never buy another robe again.

      Delete
  4. fantastic robes! I should sew myself a robe, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all should. If I felt capable of following through I would do a
      robe-a-long. However I know I would lose interest and wouldn't complete it. So I won't. 8-)

      Delete
  5. Good for you in bucking the 2012-Summary-blog-post trend! Me too.

    But I do have a teeny tiny question - hope it's not silly - but why do you have to wash the robe every single day? I thought a robe was an outer/over garment, with something being worn beneath it. Maybe I am wrong so please enlighten me. If you have PJs or underwear underneath, wouldn't that stop the robe from getting smelly or dirty? Couldn't you at least get away with a once-a-week wash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, bad me for not being clear. We don't wash them everyday, but when they need it, then we wash them in the morning. At the most they get washed weekly, sometimes every two weeks.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for clearing that up! Phew! I'm glad I'm not the only Robe-lover out there!

      Delete
  6. How did I not see this post, it slipped right by me. I can see how a robe would get a ton of use. When it's right and cozy and warm, it's going to be something you reach for. I have a few robes and I certainly have my favourite.
    Funny how a new hobby or toy becomes so addictive. I went through a phase of making window clings. In part so I could practice before tackling my bathroom window, but a house only needs so many clings. So I gave them away to many many people. I find it funny to be at a friends house and see my work on their window when I forgot that I gave them a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete