Friday, January 25, 2013

Butterick 5215 and Vogue 8690


Close up of fabric, accessorized with dog hair.
Two more t-shirts on my list made. One is a complete success, the other, not so much at all.

  
First, the success. Butterick 5215, a Connie Crawford pattern. 
B5215


I made view B, which is the semi fitted version. I lowered the neckline by two inches (thanks Dixie!) and that was the only change I made to the pattern. It fits pretty much perfectly and it is in the running for my TNT. I made it from a horrible rayon lycra blend that I bought a while back after I had bought a t-shirt made from the same stuff. Before the purchased version began pilling, of course (sigh). At least it was cheap, if memory serves it was $3 per meter. It wasn't fun to sew as it is slippery and clingy all at the same time. Swearing while sewing was mandatory while making this one. Fortunately I am very good at swearing. Ask anyone who knows me. 



The not so successful. Vogue 8690, a Katherine Tilton pattern.

V8690

I made this to wear around the house instead of a sweatshirt, to that end it is successful. This is not a garment I would tell anyone that I made. As a matter of fact, no one that I don't live with will ever see me in it. That includes all of you. Sorry.

The shoulders are tacked on the wall with Blue Tack so you can see how much
the fabric stretched. Not a good look. Fugly.
Ignore that last paragraph. All of it. The Husband just came home, saw this on, and announced "well, that is a look". Keep in mind my husband is incredibly supportive and almost never critical of anything I make. This may be the first time he has ever been that critical. Seriously. Welcome to Wadderville.

I am not sure if it is the fault of the fabric I chose, or the pattern, or a combination of both or the manufacturer. I am in the way of thinking it is the fabric. This is (I think) a poly cotton blend, it is that stuff they make thermal long underwear out of. This stuff stretches in width and shrinks in length. Of course this is the stuff that I have four more meters of, I am too cheap to throw it out, and I would hate to donate it and have someone experience the joy that is this fabric. The karma would be a killer. I am considering setting fire to it in the driveway and then dancing in the ashes, it would have the added benefit of melting some ice. Oh, I don't know, I may just put it back into the fabric closet of requirement.

I think I will try this pattern again later this year, in a better choice of fabric.  Four patterns down, ten to go.




18 comments:

  1. I like your pink shirt! I can see what you mean about the second one stretching out though - the weave on the fabric looks distorted near the shoulders.

    If it makes you feel better I started to work on some skating outfits I am making for my tutorial, and the one I am trying from a new pattern is pretty much going to be a wadder. The length is ok and actually fits perfectly well over my shoulders, but the bust is so low it doesn't even look like it is supposed to be covering my top! Sigh. I will join you in waddersville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear it is a nice place to visit occasionally, but you don't want to build a summer home there.

      Delete
  2. Your T is great and really, a girl can't have too many, can she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it apparently is all I wear, so at least I should make some instead of buying them, right?

      Delete
  3. hahahahahaha. Did you intend for it to be that short? or did it shrink on its own? you could use some of it and make sewing related stuff like pin cushions, though I suppose you could only have so many pin cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be about 6 inches longer.

      It will be making a trip to the landfill. Even homeless people shouldn't have to wear anything this ugly. 8-)

      Delete
  4. The pink shirt does look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your wadder, but glad the Butterick pattern worked for you. The shade of pink is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, the pink one wouldn't have been so perfect if you hadn't given me a heads up about the pattern companies lying on the pattern envelopes. Thanks again.

      Delete
  6. I'm liking the pink shirt, sorry about the wadder. Sounds like it is all the fabric's fault. Bad, bad fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it! Very practical!! Good on ya ElleC... at least you're learning each time, hahahaha

    Good luck and muchos love!

    bundana x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am learning. That is the point of this experiment, I WILL get comfortable sewing knits this year. If it kills me. lol

      Delete
  8. I'm always partial to pink anyhoo- I hate that the Tilton failed you- it looks very interesting on the envelope. My knit skills bow to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four knit tops in 3 ½ weeks, I am working on my knit skillz. See how street I am getting. I will revisit 8690 later this year. I think a lycra blend could be the key.

      Delete
  9. Aw boo. :( But the pink looks great. :) Chop the other one up for dishtowels and be done with it! Although your driveway fire dance has appeal... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will video it if I do the burning fabric dance. I promise.

      Delete