Tuesday, September 4, 2012

animal house

My life is a little crazy right now. I'll explain why. We have four dogs of our own, it goes without saying we love all of them dearly. Actually we love all dogs. Which we are known for far and wide. As you will see.
From left to right, starting at the top.  Barney, Max, Jasper, Ricky. All permanent residents.
Karma and Fu oops I mean Tucker. Jasper and Tucker are littermates and Ricky is their father.
I may or may not have mentioned I work in an assisted living facility, where the residents have varying degrees of independence. One of the residents (we will call her D) had a daughter who passed away, the daughter has/had four children and a dog. The children would be fine, the two younger ones were going to live with another relative, the two older ones would be living on their own, but the dog had no place to go and the younger kids were having a melt down over the dog, so Grandma took Karma (the dog). Well, Grandma is in an assisted living facility for a good reason, she was ill equipped to deal with a young active dog. So after D explained that the older kids were planning on renting a place that would allow dogs and she was only going to have Karma for a short while, I offered to take Karma. I assumed it would only be for a short time. It has now been three months and it looks like she is here to stay. Not a problem, we have all fallen in love with her, with the exception of Ricky. We don't know why, but Ricky hates her. That brings us to five dogs.

Then we took a litter mate of our baby Jasper for a few days, his name is Tucker. He is an only dog and therefore a little spoiled and I am sure if you put your mind to it, you can imagine what we have called him several times during his stay here. Rhymes with. That makes six dogs.

A friend just called and needed a favour. I couldn't say no. An emergency came up and she needed a place for her cat to stay for a few days. Her cat is blind.

Six dogs and a blind cat. Oh yes, and our friend who lives with us is allergic to cats and our large dog Barney loves cats, he thinks they taste great. Should be fun. No? No.
This is Jacob, the blind, stressed out and extremely pissed off cat. Sorry it's a bad photo, but he wouldn't cooperate.

Did I forget to mention that three of the dogs are not reliably housebroken?

Please send any positive energy that you have to spare to me. I think I may need it to survive the week.

Meanwhile, I have been trying to rearrange and reorganize the sewing dungeon. Something tells me that keeping six dogs from eating the cat for the next few days will take up most of my free time.

20 comments:

  1. Wow. Good luck, don't know how you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a full house, for sure. Now, if only you were playing poker...
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had some good advice for you, aside from gently suggesting that the unreliably housebroken dogs could stay outside for a few days.....but I don't. So, instead I'm sending all the good vibes (and patience!) that I can spare. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't leave the dogs outside. If any of them are outside, we are out there with them as we live in an area which abounds with predators, coyotes, raccoons, bears, eagles, hawks and owls. Three of our dogs are small enough to be taken by raptors. Several times I have been outside with the dogs and looked up to see our yard being circled by a bird of prey. Nice try though.

      Delete
  4. Wow, good luck! I am in a phase of my life when I am ready to retire from any and all nurturing. Want another cat? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear lord. You brave, brave soul. We're currently lliving with four dogs and four children (we're stayig with my sister-in-law until we find our own place) but at least they're all mostly housebroken...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several breeds are known for being difficult to house train. Ricky, Jasper, and Tucker are all Pomeranian and Papillon crosses, and Papillons are one of the more difficult breeds to house train. Ricky is fine, except if someone poops in the house, then he has to pee on it. (sigh)

      Delete
  6. Well, you have solved my latest problem- it seems that Bruderlein is late on his bordatella vaccine and may not be able to stay at the puppy spa during our vacation- I'll just ship him to Kelowna! You'll never notice a highly-babied slightly incontinent and a touch overweight dachshund among the throng, right? I'll start laundering his blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, don't worry about his laundry, I have nothing else to do but canine mani's and pedi's (6 dogs X 4 feet X 4 nails per foot = 96 or so nails) marathon grooming sessions, teeth cleaning and of course dog laundry. I can fit his in anytime. Just let me know what time the limo has to be at the airport to pick him up.

      Delete
  7. You need to reach the tipping point where people realize you have so many animals it is pointless to ask you to take more. I have reached that and you might be there too. Good luck and pets all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reached it with 6 dogs, but when a friend calls crying and begging me to take her cat for a couple of days, well you know the rest. I did turn down someone else for dog sitting recently though, it was for a large dog (who btw is THE perfect dog) and his new brother a 5 month old puppy. I knew that would be too much. I was so proud of myself.

      Delete
  8. Oh my you are a brave woman. And I believe you caught the essence of pissed off blind cat very well in that picture.
    Why work in an assisted living facility when you already run a kennel? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good God, Elle...when do you get time to sew? And how do you sew with so many furry creatures under foot and damp patches to walk around? Our newspaper has loads of ads for free pets when a loved one goes into care...think about it.You are a saint...start charging storage fees, feeding fees and blanket washing fees and you might notice that the flow of animals might decrease...ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I live, the animal shelters are all no kill shelters, and our SPCA actually runs out of adoptable dogs, which of course is great. Last week we almost got another one too.

      As for my sewing with dogs, only two of them join me in the sewing dungeon, Barney (the big guy who I think just likes the peace and quiet of the sewing dungeon) and Jasper. Jasper finds a spot to curl up and have a nap, so no problem there. Besides I haven't been sewing much as I am losing weight and it's summer.

      Delete
  10. My goodness. Good luck with all that! The poor kitty, I hope he can return to familiar grounds soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately for Jacob, being born blind, he has never encountered a dog, so he doesn't know he should be afraid. The barking doesn't faze him at all.

      Today I was permitted to pet him, and he didn't hiss at me. Win.

      Delete
  11. The mind boggles. Can they board you at the vet's for the duration?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is big handful! You must have a big heart- and house.

    ReplyDelete