Saturday, August 11, 2012

Offshore Labour

I love lavender.  There is no purpose for this photo, except for the rule that
all blog posts must have a photo. Hey, I don't make the rules.
Taken with a Lensbaby Composer.

Today Robin of A Little Sewing wrote a post about cheap clothes made in other countries, and other things. I am not good at splaining things right now as I have a mild concussion* and thinking is harder than usual. Read her blog. 8-D

Some background on this. I am a CBC Radio addict, for those of you who are not fortunate enough to live in Canada, CBC is our national radio station. It plays some music, but my unnatural love for CBC is because of the really good arts programming (Q with Jian Ghomeshi), current affairs programming (The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti) and independently produced documentaries, along with many other great programs. I am sure my IQ goes up when I listen to CBC regularly. Good news for everyone, you can listen online.

Recently while listening to CBC there was a really good program on, and I thought some of you might find it interesting.This is the description of the program, directly from the website.


Offshore Labour
In this episode, we ask an economist, an activist, and a former sweatshop worker a question: as consumers, can we help improve the lives of sweatshop workers by boycotting sweatshop goods? You'll hear their answers in Episode Six.


This program really changed the way I think about buying cheap clothes. I am not going to tell you how, have a listen (it is 27 minutes long). Enjoy, and I would love to know what you think.

Off shore Labour

*I hit my head on a cupboard door in the laundry room. Hard. Real hard. There was blood and everything. The cupboard doors have been removed and will be replaced with adorable curtains when I feel I am capable of using a tape measure and a rotary cutter.

**Edited August 12, I am having difficulty getting Disqus off my blog. 8-(((. Once again I thought it had worked but now the ability to comment has disappeared. Insert scream of frustration here. Please bear with me.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch!!! I'm so sorry about your bang on the head! Robin's post was good today. I plan to listen to your program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your concern. I am looking forward to seeing what you think of the radio program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to post here the other day but couldn't do it - glad to see the option is back! I also tried to listen to the program but it seems that it's no longer available... Mercury is no longer retrograde, so can't put the blame there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I hope your head heals quickly! I had a concussion some years ago....the good thing is you can get a whole lotta mileage out of something like that. "Oh I'm sorry, I forgot....the concussion, you know....."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working it, of course then I fall asleep while talking to someone, so it is kind of convincing. 8-D

      Delete