Tuesday, July 3, 2012

suffering from ennui



Yup. That is how I am feeling today. It is a wonderful word, isn't it?  One that isn't used nearly enough. Let's make it our word of the week. You might have to carry around a dictionary to explain to people what it means. Unless of course you hang out with smarter people than I.

Today I have been reading (An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aidan, if you want to know), napping, eating, thinking about eating, thinking about exercising, telling Jasper he is the cutest dog ever, reading blogs and feeling inadequate and lazy because of all the talented people whose blogs I have been reading.

Steph has been cleaning out her sewing room. This is definitely something that needs doing, The Sewing Dungeon is in serious need of a good clean out.

Tanit-Isis went thrifting and bought a bunch of sewing patterns. This admittedly doesn't count as sewing, but at least she got dressed and left the house, which is more than I have done today. Besides we all know she spent some time with her machine today.

Simona sewed up a Cynthia Rowley dress pattern 1802. A pattern which I adore. She is planning to make another one, this time with piping so you can see all the seaming. I can't wait.

Andi has been busy trying to ship her kids away for a while. She didn't put it that way. She is a better mom than that. They are going to camp.

KC has been helping her son put together a costume for The Anime Expo. What a good mom she is. We know that because she told us.


This is the ultimate demonstration of laziness, on my sewing blog I write a post about other peoples sewing, that they have already written about. Perfect. Now I am going to finish An Assembly Such as This.



11 comments:

  1. Sometimes we need some ennui in our lives in order to kick us back into shape. Now worries... I liked this post because you introduced me to some new bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little ennui is better than agita, and a day like you are having can be somewhat therapeutic. To make you feel better, I've not entered the studio all week. I'm going to try to finish a project tonight, so wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the shout out! However, I took my awesome motherliness out for most of the day to ride my bicycle (in a me-made tunic!) so I wouldn't have to work at home and deal with DH watching TV and DS & friend doing whatever they were going to do in my tiny house. Then I took myself out for drinks and dinner. Spend enough money and avoid all your responsibilities and you, too, can beat ennui!

    ReplyDelete
  4.  Sometimes it's better to do nothing at all- I've started some majorly ill-advised projects just because I felt guilty and idle! Enjoy it while you can! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god, I have the ennui thing too.  The fall patterns are starting to come out and we have a bit of a breeze, and I'm suddenly dying to sew sweater knits and fleece.  What is wrong with me??  

    Some self-discipline (enough to focus on summer wear for another month) is clearly in order here....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you shown us the tunic? I don't remember a post about a tunic. Are you holding out on your audience? 

    You did better than I would have, I would have left the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have barely had a spring here, I am so far from thinking about fall and winter. Besides I like summer clothes far more than winter clothes. For me focus is on that four letter word, DIET.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am never able to start a project without being enthusiastic about it. I don't usually feel guilty about being idle, a benefit of being an only child and childless. The dogs like it when I do nothing, there is a lap available for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right, of course. Ennui is just boring, not stressful. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad I could be of use. 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just catching up on my reading and can I say you crack me up?  This is a great post.

    ReplyDelete