Monday, July 23, 2012

Procrastinating, Netflix and housework

Or how Netflix helped me procrastinate and helped me do housework.



I still have a fleece Koos style bathrobe on the mental design table, I can't quite see it in my head yet and I don't want to start another project until I get this one done.  I have been procrastinating. I admit it. You saw the jam making, but there have been many other incidences of putting it off as well. Many hours of blog reading for instance.

Then I read House of Pinheiro's spectacular example of procrastination. I am truly impressed, procrastination as a blog post, and a pretty good one at that. Her post is stunning, with pie charts and colours and everything. So there was nothing for me to do but to create a spreadsheet of my patterns. Company, Pattern #, Description (ie designer or easy, or whatever), size, garment (skirt, coordinates etc), year printed and other notes. Very satisfying.

For those you who are interested get a life, I have a total of  206 patterns.

1 Akasha 
1 Betsy Ross
8 Burda
23 Butterick
2 Carol Lane-Sabre
1 Favorite Things
4 Folkwear
1 Jalie
1 Kandel
13 Kwik-Sew
1 Material Things
18 McCalls
1 Merchant Rag
4 New Look
1 Revisions
1 Sewn
1 Silhouettes
22 Simplicity
1 Stretch and Sew
2 The Sewing Workshop
1 Trudy Jansen
3 Unique
96 Vogue

If you want, I can also tell you how many of those are Marcy Tilton, how many are dresses, and that I have two patterns for gloves. Why? I have no idea.  

Hello my name is Elle, and I am a TV addict.

Saturday, on a whim I signed us up for Netflix. We had just finished Season One of The Wire. OMG that is an excellent TV show, if you haven't seen it you should and probably without your kids. I was hoping Netflix would have it, that is why I signed up, we needed our fix. Alas, it was not to be. There is however many worthwhile programs I have never seen, that are worth my viewing time and therefore capable of assisting me with my procrastination program.

However, on Sunday, I was sitting down, ready to embark on another day of accomplishing nothing. The thought then occurred to me that I can do housework and watch TV via Netflix on my laptop, so it (it being housework watching TV) isn't such a waste of time. I spent almost the whole day procrastinating cleaning. Very rewarding and now I am on a mission.

I, Elle C, Will Have A Clean House Before My Friend Terri Comes to Visit in August.

Because of Netflix and procrastination. 

Hi Terri.

13 comments:

  1. I have more patterns than you. :) (not nearly as many Vogues, however.)


    This is probably not a good thing. I also have all the stats in my stupid little phone program.


    AND my house is currently (momentarily) clean.


    AND I almost caught up on my blog-reading, if not commenting, last week.


    ... which is another way of saying I'm really good at procrastinating, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missing mojo? A tidy house helps my mojo, maybe I should do some organizing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh. I'm jealous of your pattern list! Though apparently my sister has just posted an entire box of Mum's old patterns from the 70s. Not sure if I'll ever be enthusiastic enough to grade from a 32" bust to a 40", but anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, welcome to the addiction that is The Wire. If you liked that, you'll like Treme, many of the same actors are involved in Treme. But stick with what you're watching now. I was actually thinking of season three last night as I drove home and it's been a few years since I watched The Wire. I cried so hard at the last episode of season one my husband asked if I wanted to stop it so I could finish crying. Good programming leaves an impression.
    Wow, that's some impressive pattern stats you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes, welcome to the addiction that is The Wire. If you liked that, you'll like Treme, many of the same actors are involved in Treme. But stick with what you're watching now. I was actually thinking of season three last night as I drove home and it's been a few years since I watched The Wire. I cried so hard at the last episode of season one my husband asked if I wanted to stop it so I could finish crying. Good programming leaves an impression.
    Wow, that's some impressive pattern stats you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently watched all of Breaking Bad on netflix in a week or sew.....

    ;-)

    Love the Wire! Read the book too. It was great.

    Oz is pretty good netflix fare also. Maybe not on demand though also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie C, You can get the Wire DVD's on Netflix, all of them, but you have to click on "DVD" up in the red top header, then do your search. Thanks for stopping by my blog and that's quite a wonderful pattern stash you got going there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not really, I am planning a very unusual robe for a friend, and I can't quite visualize it yet. I am almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, should I tell you I didn't count my vintage patterns? For me, they don't count because I will probably never sew them. It will take a while for me to get the whole house clean and organized. My friend comes on August 14??, I should be done by then, maybe I will even have the garden weeded. Yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Threads has a really good article about grading patterns and I have used it and it works. Do you have the Threads magazines on DVD?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately the DVD rental isn't available in The Great White North ;(. Maybe one day Netflix will have it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, Breaking Bad will be on my watch list. Thank you for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry for the double comment, the comments weren't showing for me so I didn't think it published! I was on community I guess not discussion. Oops.

    ReplyDelete