Sunday, June 17, 2012

Oh. Canada.


I challenge any Canadians to read the title of this post and not hear the National Anthem. Can't do it, can ya?

Here is the promised scrub for The Husband. Suitable for wearing on Canada Day, for those of you ignorant in the ways of the people of the True North Strong and Free, it is July 1. 

As usual the pattern matching on the pockets is pretty damn near perfect. I am so ridiculously anal about that. Those of you with sharp eyes will notice the v neck is not so much, maybe it is a v that got drunk one night or something and couldn't come to the point, something like I am doing now. I am getting bored making these, the only thing that makes them anywhere near fun (besides how much The Husband enjoys telling anyone at all, even strangers on the street "my wife made this") is doing something different with them, such as the red bands on the sleeves and bottom.  I like the way it turned out.




The weight loss is going well, l had my first weigh in on Friday and the burnt offering and live sacrifices were successful. I lost 2.4 pounds. Are you not astonished that I held on to that information for over 48 hours before sharing? To be perfectly honest, I was a little disappointed with the number, considering how hard I am working at the gym, but I am building muscle blah blah blah. I may have lost enough to have the first casualty in my wardrobe. I bought a pair of cheap yoga pants at the Mart of Wal, they are now falling off me. I am not certain whether this is due to the quality of the product (very likely) or whether I have lost enough off the butt and belly (maybesortakinda likely). At any rate I will try to fix them. It is strange to say, but I am looking forward to my wardrobe getting smaller, not just in size but in quantity. 

Jilly has been posting lovely pictures of the flowers in her garden. It seemed like a good idea, so I leave you with this.

Kidding.

This is my sage plant, it's not a big deal, but it is the first year it has bloomed.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your weight loss!  I think inches off the body is a better way to measure progress than weight, so if your pants are loose then that's a good sign.

    The top is very Canadian, indeed.  I always get bored with my TNT patterns and think I can zip through them in sloppy fashion, but no....that just makes for silly little mistakes.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol at the lion of dandy!  And congrats on the weight loss...I agree that inches are really much more significant than pounds.  I don't get on a scale very often, but I sure notice when clothes fit differently.

    As far as boring projects, I say RELISH the fact that hubby is so proud of your accomplishments!  BASK in those compliments - you're lucky :)  And keep thinking of silly little ways to make each one different.   Live wild - put a pocket on that DOESN'T match up.  Yeah I know...I probably couldn't do that either.   Or if I did, I'd rip it off & do it "right".  ;-)  In fact, come to think of it, I just did exactly that on my tablecloth skirt.   I can do some sloppy stitching sometimes, but dangit, that pocket WILL line up.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the weight loss and good for you to be working out!!  It will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, I feel very self righteous and smug after I have gone to the gym. It surprises me that I am not hating it. Who knew??

    ReplyDelete
  5. My weight has fluctuated so much in the last few years that I barely know my own body. It is strange, that is why I started working out, my metabolism has to be f@cked up. Menopause and all that. Got to get it under control.

    I could put a pocket on the bias or the back and see if he notices. I am happy that he appreciates his scrubs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anyone who has made as many of one pattern as I have of these scrubs. He currently has 25 wearable ones, and I have retired quite a few, so I am going to guess 35 to 40?? The pattern I have changed so many times, the facings, the neck, size of pockets, location of pockets, length, it barely resembles the original. I have traced the pattern on to thin cardboard and have them hanging on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that maple leaf scrub top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Canada shirt - awesome!  Also, congrats on the progress with your weight loss.  I have to echo the other comments - inches are a much better gage than weight because at first it will probably bounce up and down a bit, especially if you are going to the gym quite frequently now and weren't before.  And, I am also well accustomed to the weight fluctuations - I have to take hormone replacement pills and when things get out of balance the weight is the first thing to change (and doesn't like to change back).  But, keep going, I am sure you will be feeling much better if you continue to work out and eat healthy.  A new wardrobe will be a nice bonus too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I can't get Oh Canada outa my head - thanks. Lovely scrub top, though. Isn't it such a great feeling to start noticing the positive body changes? Love the dandelion, the sage is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am delighted you are losing weight. I have set up a separate blog to encourage me. themissiondiet.blogspot.com  It's working somewhat lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. O Canada was playing in my head when I read the title, before even opening the post! 

    ReplyDelete
  12. This scrub shirt makes me want to be a doctor. Or a Canadian. I'm not sure which. 

    "O Canada, Our home and native land..."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know, it is impossible not to, so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup. Complete with slightly off-key piano cords. The only question---will it be first in English, then in French? I like the French version better... wish I had anything to offer about scrubs-making boredom. They sound boring to me. Teach your husband to sew his own?

     When my husband was working out, I was amazed at the (positive) changes that would happen without either measurable weight loss or even significant changes in measurements. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Responding in order. English. I am ashamed to say that I don't speak French, something I have always wanted to learn. They are boring, but I only make them now when I find fabric I love or thrifted fabric (which doesn't happen often). I would never let him touch my machine and I would have to be there for every second of the process anyway. 

    I am just started to see and feel some changes, very subtle ones. I am going to up the intensity starting today and see what happens. Should be painful 8-),

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool proud-to-be-a-Canadian top!

    ReplyDelete