Friday, June 8, 2012

the beginning of a weight loss journey



Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Okay, okay, stop making gagging noises. I joined Weight Watchers today. Earlier this week Andrea mentioned that she signed up and asked if anyone wanted to be her weight loss buddy. Seeing as I am killing myself working out at the gym it seems ridiculous not to stop eating completely change my eating habits. So I said yes to Andrea.  I think it will be helpful feeling accountable to someone.

So what does this mean for sewing? Obviously there is no point in making clothes for me, as I have a lot of weight to lose and nothing I can get into now will even come close when I am at my goal weight. I have some ideas.

I am pretty much taken care of in the pj department for now. I think I will make a caftan from some rayon in the stash, to wear around the house, it would be lovely and cool for summer. We usually get a couple of weeks of high 30's (95 to 102 F)  here and wearing as few clothes as possible is a joy. I have some waffle weave cotton which would be perfect for a summer robe, so that goes on the list too. I have McCalls 5985 OOP, it's a capelet, which looks like fun, and completely different from anything I have and it wouldn't have to fit. So another goes on the list.

For The Husband I have some red and white maple leaf cotton which is suitable for a scrub for Canada Day, he has around 25 scrubs so no more is needed there unless I come across some fabric at the thrift store.

S (rubber duck pj  friend, love that description), is always cold, except when it is too hot to breathe and then she is comfortable, so she needs a really warm bathrobe, I have Burda 2653 which has a hood and is floor length. It will be a fun project as I plan on making it from fleece and I am going to use what I have on hand so I will be piecing the fleece together. I am hoping for a sort of subdued sophisticated Koos look, not a homespun piecework effect.

To recap:

Maple Leaf scrub for The Husband-due date of July 1
Caftan and summer bathrobe for moi
Capelet for moi
Warm (and possibly strange looking) hooded bathrobe for S
Possibly capelet for S

Am I the only one who finds it helpful to regurgitate their thoughts about sewing plans on their blogs?  I have been dithering about this for a few days now, and now that it is in black and white it seems so clear. Or is writing your plans cursing them? What is that saying, if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans?


13 comments:

  1. Every now & then one of my old "sewing plans" posts pops up, & I look at it with mixed feelings.  As in:  "That was a good idea!  So why haven't I done it yet?  Oh yeah....life....."

    I do like writing my ideas down; having swatches & sketches on 3x5's on my bulletin board, taking pictures of fabric/pattern combos I like & posting them.  It keeps those stray bits of my brain in order.

    And congrats on the weight loss program!   Are you a member of Stitcher's Guild?  There's a thread there about sewing while losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your decision to join WW. I envy your motivation, as mine is sorely lacking.

    Re. lists of what to sew - I'm quite spontaneous, but lately I've been making lists to help organize my sewing and keep on track with making garments that I can wear together. Funny how making pants always ends up at the bottom of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah that is strange, it's not like they are hard to fit or anything. 8-)
     
    I actually started exercising before dieting this time, and it was only one day when I had burned 500 calories on the treadmill and was sweating like crazy, I thought I should maybe start dealing with the food intake as well. I am exercising for health issues not so much weight loss, or at least it started out that way. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hubs is working on weight loss as well, and I'm all for it because I have a terrible tendency to just eat whatever.  It's leftover, it's in the fridge, Imma gonna eat it....  Anyway, the new focus he has on grilling meat and eating more veggies and etc. has me eating healthier too.  It's so much easier to do it with a partner!  

    I have shifted in size in the last year (I originally wrote "gained weight" but actually, my weight is the same while my size has shifted to being larger on the bottom -- old age or what?).  Because of that, I'm planning to sew a lot of jersey and elastic this summer.  Those projects will help me finish things faster, a bonus with the kids at home and underfoot, and I'm hoping to have worked my way through my entire pattern stash for knits by the end of the summer.  Optimistic thinking, but it's a goal.

    I'm starting to realize that I have to be very careful about typing out plans, because I'm a rebel.  The minute I put something in black and white, my brain goes, "NO!  I'm not doing that!" and all is lost.  Very general plans (sewing knits, for example) are best.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your journey towards better health and weight loss!  I also recently started scrutinizing my food intake more critically, and I have been trying to eat a lot more fresh meat and veggies...  So far it has been ok, except it is a bit hard when you are the only one shunning the junk food and everyone else thinks that you have an "eating problem" because you don't want a mound of pasta or toast with breakfast.  Family pizza night is heading into battle territory.  But, I want to do something that I think will be beneficial for me long-term, and my approach is to try and make better food decisions one meal at a time.  Having a buddy would definitely help - I am hoping I will get a partner is food crime when she gets back for Europe.

    As for the sewing plans - I like using the Blog as a place for my sewing plans and goals.  It helps me keep track of things I want to make, and sometimes even the fabric I bought for those projects.  Sometimes my plans don't work out (like right now - I had planned to be sewing a lot of things for me by this point of the year, but I am sewing so many things for other people that my original plans have been pushed back somewhat), but it at least helps me keep track of what I wanted to do.  Can't wait to see your upcoming projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life can be so annoying, getting in the way of our sewing plans, eating, sleeping, working etc, it is just inconvenient, isn't it?

    I like Pinterest and Polyvore for keeping track of potential ideas, I love Pinterest.

    I am a member of the Stitchers Guild, I don't go onto it often, but I will go and have a look for that thread. Thanks for the head up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I rarely eat the same foods, he is a vegetarian and I am a meat lover, most vegetarian substitutes are wheat based, wheat doesn't like me. I like salads, he doesn't. We don't even like the same yogurt. 

    Aging is a nasty bitch, it does odd things to your body. I don't think it is even worth trying to make anything for me, I will like lose about 5 sizes before I reach goal, and my shape will change as well, so there really is no point. I will live in thrifted clothes for a few months.

    I tend to be a rebel too, just try to tell me to do something, even if I want to, I turn stubborn. It is silly. Not a trait I am proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SatinbirddesignsJune 9, 2012 at 5:27 AM

    Elle, i love the idea of a Koos inspired robe for your friend.

    I'm so glad to have a WW buddy! As I type this, we are getting ready to hit the gym - all of us. At one time. You may feel the earth move all the way up there in Canada land.

    I like to blog about ideas, plans, and things I need to remember to do sewing wise. It's a peripheral brain kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could always try "the Doctor suggested because of my _______ I should strictly limit my intake of wheat products to maybe once a week, like pizza night". No one is likely to argue with a Doctor.  Or you could begin by cutting back just a little at a time and maybe it won't be either a surprise for the family, or maybe they won't even notice. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I think I did feel a slight tremor. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on making the commitment to yourself. I followed Weight Watchers prior to getting married, it worked very well for me. I liked that it's about eating real food and understanding portions. I haven't stepped on a scale in a little while and I know I complain about a few extra pounds, but I have not returned to where I was when I started WW.

    I think writing about our plans is part of the pleasure of blogging. For me, when I write a list for anything, I know there is about 10% that are just never going to happen. Still, it's good to write them all out to just see in the end what the priorities are, what excites me, what creates the itch to visit the sewing room. And for indecisive days where I need sewing to calm my mind but don't know where to start, that list is a good push in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find posting my sewing goals makes me stick with them a lot better. I feel like I have to live up to the things I've said. So yes, I think writing down your sewing plans is wise.

    Good luck with your health goals. I think going to the gym is admirable. I have to get back to that. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you are on your way and my fingers are crossed for you. One book that I thought was really great when I was losing weight (a loss I've maintained for 3yrs now) is French Women Don't Get Fat. It helped me see things in a life-long/lifestyle perspective and was entertaining, too.

    ReplyDelete