Sunday, May 13, 2012

Spring, Sewing OCD and other stuff

It's spring! The sour cherry tree is in bloom. Soon I will be making sour cherry jelly.
I have never suspected that I had OCD until recently. Whenever I sew something I feel is successful, I feel compelled to make more. You know the theory, if one is good, 17 must be better. I should go and buy the new Claire Schaeffer Chanel style jacket pattern. 8-D

It has nothing to do with need, either. First it was panties, of course you do wear (I hope so) a new fresh clean pair every day, so sewing lots of them is probably a good idea or at least not insane.  Pyjama bottoms are another matter. How many pairs does one person need? I have now made 5 pairs. I love them. They are almost all I wear at home now, and they are especially nice to wear while sewing, you can slip them off easily to try on whatever you are sewing. Which, in my case is of course, pyjama bottoms. Because I have sewing OCD. So I sew pyjama bottoms. Repeat.
I bought the middle fabric to make a scrub, I have absolutely no idea where the other two came from. 

After the first successful ones made for the Pyjama Party, I went through the stash and pulled out fabrics that I know in a million years I would never use for anything else. I must have been fabric shopping with really low blood sugar or on cold medication or channeling crazy people from the eighties, or thrifting during a dry spell and got desperate (this is the most likely).

Left Sunglasses fabric, nice cotton. Middle fabric rayon/cotton blend. Right fabric what in God's name was I thinking?


Of course the course of pj making cannot run smooth. The weird dark print (middle one)  I managed to cut 2 left sides so for the right side I had to cut on the cross grain, so pattern matching wasn't going to happen. This was a little hard for me, I have a compulsion obsession thing about matching patterns. I fully expected the sewing gods to strike me dead or curse my serger or something, but even though the print isn't the nicest I have ever bought, the fabric has a beautiful drape and I love it, I wish I could buy more of this exact fabric, but seeing as how this stuff has aged a very very long time, it ain't ever gonna happen. Oh well.

It is a lot of pink at once, I kind of feel like I
bathed in Pepto Bismol, when I wear them.
I have made my first Sorbetto, strangely even though I have broad shoulders and am clearly in the size 18 range, it fits a little large, but that is fine. That could be also because I made it from quilting cotton that I bought last weekend, probably would be nicer in fabric that had some drape and didn't behave like computer paper. Since this is to sleep in, I decided I wouldn't bother to try to fit it, the next time I will play around with it. I have read about people that whip one of these up in 90 minutes. I think I must be the slowest sewist in existence, it took me four hours. I lengthened the top as well, but actually made it too long, so I got lazy (bored with it actually) and just serged a rolled hem finish. I am thinking this could work nicely for the neck and armholes as well (at least in quilting cotton), not of course if you were going to wear it in public.

close up of rolled edge and fabric







Good news, one of my diets is going well, the shopping diet has been a success! I feel unable to maintain a cold turkey level of no thrifting, however. Tanit-Isis tortured me yesterday by posting the patterns she bought at that home of thrifty goodness, Value Village. I am now certain that all the out of print sewing books I have ever wanted are there now calling to me, along with bolts of shimmering silks and crisp linens mistakenly marked at $5.99 for the whole bolt, and rolls and rolls of serger thread and petersham, and horsehair, and the first Claire Schaeffer Chanel jacket pattern, uncut. Well that's enough, you get the point. I am going today. I will be there banging on the door when they open. I am sure they have missed me. The staff have probably started wearing black arm bands.

This is Barney playing coy. There is no point to this photo being included in this
post. Barney is always, most of the time, sometimes occasionally a good boy,
so I thought he should have his picture here today. Barney's hobby is breaking out of
the yard and taking himself for a walk, and terrifying the humans in the process.




15 comments:

  1. Glad that your shopping diet is going well... for now at least :)
    I have the same urge as you to buy, buy, and buy more but I always say to myself (which prevents me from buying most of the time) is that my potential purchase will not make me happy. It's a gratification that will go away very shortly after I buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that telling yourself that buying something won't make you happy, but it does make me happy.
      1. When I find a good deal, I feel happy.
      2. When I bring it home, I feel happy.
      3. When I think about what I am going to turn it into, I feel happy.
      4. When I take it to the fabric closet (slowly turning into fabric room) and introduce it to it's brothers and sisters, I feel happy.
      5. When I go and visit it and fondle it and imagine once again what I will make from it, I feel happy.

      And so on and so on. I can buy happiness. 8-D

      Delete
  2. There is no post complete without a gratuitous dog picture! This shopping diet- I just can't seem to do it, but I totally supported you, since it leaves more fabric for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work so much better for you if we weren't on opposite sides of the continent. Of course you could always fawn over something I have bought and I just might cave and gift you with it. Again.

      Delete
  3. Nice jammies, the sunglasses ones are my favourite! The dog is such a darling - you should check out Caesar Millan (or The Kaiser as we call him here) for tips on fixing that. It's easy to fix, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge fan of Cesar, got most of his books and a DVD set. Barney isn't really that bad, if he gets enough exercise he is pretty much perfect. Unfortunately, life sometimes gets in the way.

      Delete
  4. I used to have an 'escape dog' too. They keep life interesting!

    I love wearing pyjamas when I come home from work, too. Even when it is still daylight. Some of those patterns reminded me of an appalling pair of pants I owned in about 1989... they had an elastic waist, and elastic ankles. Ew :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Barney is nothing if not interesting. He is half border collie and really smart, we have always been grateful he doesn't have opposable thumbs, and the ability to speak, cause if he did we would be in serious trouble.

      Two of those prints are indeed ugly. But comfy.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, Tanit-Isis got me to venture into the Goodwill near me just to see if they even carry fabric or patterns. I didn't find anything I'd want for sewing, but I did buy some fiction and it turned out that I happened to pick a 50% off Friday (which explains why it was so busy at 6pm on a Friday night). All her fault I went in at all.

    I love your jammies, they look like so much fun. It's a good way to use up some crazy fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just haven't found the right thrift store. Really. There are 6 in the city I live in and each of them seems to have completely different stuff, one is great for furniture, one for vintage etc etc. I would imagine it would be similar where you are.

      Making pjs out of insanely ugly fabric really is the only way (besides muslins)I can think of to use it up.

      Delete
  6. LMAO. I am sorry. I'm an enabler. I try not to be, but I am (just ask Funnygrrl).

    Your PJ pants (even the pink ones) look awesomely comfy. And yes, perfect for sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really only used you as an excuse, unlike you I tend not to buy patterns, but I do buy fabric, lots and lots of it (rubbing hands gleefully).

      Delete
  7. I love your new pjs! It reminds me how sorry my collection of at home lazy-sleep pants is. Most are at least 6-10 years old, I have sewn darts in the elastic waistbands because they are so stretched out, and most have holes, rips, or permanent stains. I REALLY need to make new ones, especially now that I have seen your lovely (and somewhat crazy) new sleepwear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to what you usually sew, these would be brainless sewing, and fast too.

      Delete
  8. Ah! You beat me done! In my defense though, I'm working on some belated baby stuff, I've got burp rags running out my ears!!!

    ReplyDelete