Friday, May 4, 2012

the shopping diet starts today. absolutely. yup. this time I mean it. for sure.

I was very bad yesterday.  See.  Don't tell The Husband. Oh, wait he reads this sometimes. Oh  sh!t.



I went to two thrift stores and bought six pieces of fabric. They are:

5.5 meters of tan and white cotton seersucka
2 meters of black ponte! at a thrift store!! you must admit this deserves extra exclamation points!!!
1.5 meters of a lovely soft grey heathered knit
1.5 meters of navy and white polka dot polyester
4.5 meters of black and white print, I think it is swimsuit fabric
1.5 meters of a very interesting double sided olive and black fabric- it is actually two fabrics sort of sewn together, I love it, but have no idea what to do with it. If I had enough I would make a jacket.

Then S. (rubber duck PJ friend, she'll love that description) and I went to a library book sale. I spent $34 on 34 books. I bought 8 sewing books, 7 photography books and a bunch of novels for Aunt Edna.


close up of the olive and black fabric-if I could I might marry this fabric 

the seersucka


Before you all write me off as a selfish braggart who just likes to flaunt my good fortune, I have something for a special someone out there. They had one of these books at the sale and I already have one, but I felt certain it could make someone happy.

I saw a few of these on Ebay for $15 TO $20

Edited-this is one of Sewing Pattern Reviews top 15 sewing books.

So toss your name in the virtual hat. I will send this anywhere, but if you are overseas (i. e.  not in North America) it will be sent by rowboat, cause shipping will be expensive. The random number generation will happen Monday, May 7. Have a good weekend everyone.

17 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one binging in the thrift stores :) Looks like an awesome haul.

    I will throw my hat in for that cute little book---you have way more sewing books than I do, this must be remedied. Ideally at thrift store prices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but of course. thrift store prices. actually library book sale prices are better.

      Delete
  2. Ooo what I know about sewing you could put on a post-it so desperately in need for something like that book. Count me in fellow sewer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul! That's not so much shopping as it is 'thrifting', which should be exempt from the shopping category.
    I must admit envy - so many bloggers find fabric at thrift stores, and good stuff too, like your Ponte. Maybe I need to find a better thrift store. Throw my name in - I'd love the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh for goodness sake don't go giving me permission to buy more fabric. you are a bad bad person. 8-)

      Delete
  4. Aha, I hit the thrift store myself recently for what was probably an ill-advised shopping trip. But since I came home with scads of lovely cardigans and a few pairs of pants (I cant sew the latter), I don't feel so badly.

    I love the searsucker, and polka dots are always joy! :D

    Toss my name in too please! Because I definitely need more books. Uh...yeah. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My town sucks. Just wanted to share that. If you want NASCAR t-shirts or ceramic goose decor, my thrift stores are for you. Fabric? Books? Yea...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric purchases were a rare occurrence, I can go to the sames shops 20 times and not get anything. I find this time of year the best, people have garage sales and what doesn't sell they take to a thrift store.

      Delete
  6. Oh please count me in for this giveaway! I love love love your shopping spree! Don't feel bad about it girl. I'll totally stand behind you to the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing haul! Looks like it was a great shopping day. Books + fabric = best shopping spree ever. The fact that they were thrifted/library sales makes it even better. And, because my willpower is still on vacation, even though I really don't need more sewing books I am going to say please count me in for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, what a haul! I really like the green and black doublecloth. The two sides are woven together while the two fabrics are being woven. Way cool stuff. How about a vest? Reversible would be great, with fold-back front edges.
    I don't own any of Sandra Betzina's books, so I certainly could use this one. Consider my name in the hat!
    And no guilt for this shopping spree. You got some great deals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would know! I forgot (for a moment) where you work. I am thinking a vest too, but I can't quite see it in my head yet. I am kind of liking the idea of bound edges, though. Is there much of this kind of fabric around? I have never seen anything like it before.

      Delete
    2. Double cloth is quite rare. It is made at least two different ways. Yours, as I've already described, is held together by some shared threads. You can see the black threads on the green side, and vice versa.
      Another method is very cool and I don't know just how it is accomplished. The layers are held together by tiny, almost sheer fibers. As you pull the layers apart the fibers pop out of the fabric. With this technique, the threads don't show on the right sides of the two fabrics.
      Maybe I'll write a post about double cloth one of these days, with some photos. That could be fun!

      Delete
  9. Nice! Can you do reviews of Little Green Dress and Chic and simple sewing please? I.e. pictures of selected styles, descriptions on the patterns included etc. Oh and please don't enter me in the giveaway, I have all the sewing books I need!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I need to shop with you ;) I would love to win the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you shopped with me, we would have to fight over the fabric! That wouldn't be fun at all.

      Delete