Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pyjama Party Time, Part Two

Karen requested that we indulge her and show our bedtime reading material. I don't have a bedside table, I have a bedside bookcase. A small bookcase, but still a bookcase. See.


I actually tidied it up and put some books away.
 There is usually piles of books on the floor,

In Karen's own words:

"As well as hearing about your new jim jams, I also want to hear about or see your bedtime reading. What book is on your bedside table or loaded onto your ereader? Graphic novel, YA fiction, trashy mag, sewing book – bring it on. I work in publishing, I love hearing about these things! We can all get loads of new reading recommendations, as well as pyjama inspiration."

I rarely read fiction when I get into bed, because once I start reading a novel I do not stop until it is finished. There are obviously exceptions to this, but if the book is less than three hundred pages I will finish it in less than a day. Most of my bedtime reading is nonfiction. Lately I haven't been reading many novels at all.

Current reads.

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts-Gabor Maté. If you have or know someone with addiction issues, this is a must read. A friend of mine actually has two copies, one for her and one to lend out. A real eye opener.

The Power of Habit-by Charles Duhigg. I love this book and I can't recommend it highly enough if you have habits you wish to change. Helped me make the decision to join my gym.

The Happiness Project-by Gretchen Rubin. Really good, fun read.

Flip the Switch-by Jim Karas. One of the rare books to get you mentally prepared to start a diet or lifestyle change.

Flip the Switch-by Robert Cooper. I only bought this because I had one already with this name and I thought it was funny. This book is more about the chemical processes of losing weight and how to help them along. The two books work quite well together, one is the mental aspect and the other physical.

Tastebuds and Molecules-Francois Chartier. The Art and Science of Food, Wine and Flavor. This book was named the Best Cookbook in the World in the category of Innovation at the 2010 Paris World Cookbook Awards. If you are a foodie you should read this or at least take it out of the library.

Death Comes to Pemberley-by P. D. James. As a diehard Austen fan, I loved this.

Some of you with good eyes may notice some of these books have library stickers on the spines. Be assured I did not steal these. Our local library has a massive book sale every year and sells books (donated and discarded from the library system) for the grand price of $1. One year our household spent $200 on books. The sale takes place over three days and I have actually booked days off to be able to go everyday, sometimes more than once a day.

This is just a very small selection of the books in our house. If anyone wants to ask about any book pictured her but not mentioned, please don't hesitate to ask.

Top shelf-right.

Top shelf-left.

Bottom shelf-right.

Bottom shelf-left.

Middle shelf-left.

Middle shelf-right.




8 comments:

  1. im envy of your book self.. thanks for the recommendations and sweet comment on my blog. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm not sure I could sleep with all those books at my bedside telling me how to be a better person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they worked I wouldn't have to have them anymore, they are there cause they/I aren't entirely successful. 8-)

      Delete
  3. I love your book shelf! Looks like a fun mix of reading material there. And, I also do not have a bedside table - I literally have books stacked up from the floor to the height of my bed that I use as a bedside table. Which are also only a fraction of the books I own. But, I have been better about buying books lately... I have been buying fabric instead! My sister though... now there is a girl with a serious book addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is actually another pile of books in the bedroom, all my photography books, around 40 of them. The sewing and craft books are in the sewing dungeon. Seven more bookcases in the basement. Cookbooks on the main floor. Never a lack of anything to read in this house.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful selection of books. I'd never get to sleep, so much to read!!! Although I am finding it way to easy to buy books on my e-reader, I don't even have to get out of bed. Too easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bookshelf! I am using a combination of plastic drawer storage, boxes, and a disused cat tower (cats hated it at first sight) for my bedside table. Maybe I should get some shelves -- yes, definitely, because I always keep papers near my bedside. I end up filling out paperwork in bed all the time!

    I have read the Happiness Project and loved it, but I keep lending it out and not getting it back. Hmm, might be time to pick up another copy for myself. I've also read Freakonomics (but not the Super version) and Eckhardt Tolle's The Power of Now. I'm curious if all your books about market economy make you less likely to shop? I found that reading clutter control books killed my shopping impulse DEAD. Hmm, I need to own more clutter control books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have both Freakonomics, love them both. Unfortunately the market economy books just slow me down for a while. I too, have a pile of clutter control books cluttering up some space somewhere, not to mention the diet books. Actually you can pretty much tell where I am at mentally and emotionally by the books I bring home. Hmm.

      Have you read any of Malcolm Gladwell's books, they are a very interesting read. He also has a website with articles he has written for New Yorker magazine. Fascinating writer.

      Delete