Saturday, April 28, 2012

It's Pyjama Party Time, Part One

And I am suffering from clever writers block. I seem to be unable to be amusing, I have been working on this post for several hours now and keep on deleting everything I have written. So I am giving up and boring this will have to be. Buck up and suffer through it people. I would do it for you.

As discussed in a previous post I used Simplicity 5364 and used a lovely raspberry plaid seersucka (there you go Anne). I will not go into the sizing of this pattern for a second time. I mentioned previously that I was a little short on fabric and was going to make capris. When laying out the pattern I realized I could cut it on the cross grain and make the PJ's full length. So I did.

Jasper (left) and Ricky indicating their approval of the new pyjamas. The t-shirt I already had and it matches perfectly.


This seersucka is a very firm fabric, other seersuckas I have seen have been lighter weight and have had a softer hand. This stuff is kinda springy. It takes a press very well, but I am certain that after washing the seam allowance would bounce back and dig into me. So being somewhat resistant to having to iron pyjamas (lazy slob that I am), I decided to edge stitch all the seam allowances down. Worked like a hot damn. I, of course did this after I had assembled the side seams and inner leg seam, so some muttering, cursing and having the tongue in the right position was required. The other thing I did differently was the waist, the directions called for just elastic, I prefer elastic with a drawstring as well. I like being able to make the waist tighter or looser as the case may be. So I made two buttonholes and thread a string thingy through it. Easy peasy.

I expect everyone to be dazzled by my ability to match plaids.  You can just see the edge stitching.

The waist, the pink stringy thing matches the fabric exactly, but you wouldn't know this by this picture.

After all the issues with fit were resolved, these went together very easily, and I am already planning to make another pair. I think I may have sewing OCD, if I sew something successfully, I feel compelled to make it again and again and again and again. You know how it goes, if one of something is good twenty-seven must be better, right? Obviously.

I mentioned that I made a pair for my friend as well. She consented to modelling them for me and all of you. Be sure to notice her clever accessorizing. The turquoise socks matching her fleece jacket. Such a slave to fashion. Her jammies are made from cotton flannelette, thrifted also. At some point in the near future I will be making a top to match the bottoms as I have several miles more of this, or maybe it just seems like it. It is such a happy print, isn't it? Insulin anyone?


All in all a very successful project. See Part two for my reading material on my bedside table.

Edited: I forgot to thank Karen for a really fun and easy sew along. Great job Karen! Thank You!

19 comments:

  1. Ok, that plaid matching was very impressive- I tend to slack off on garments I don't think anyone will see- I applaud your professionalism.
    I also throw a pillow at you and squeal in honor of the party.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (whispering) I am only telling you, the plaid matching was a fluke. don't tell anyone else..........

      Delete
  2. Those seersucker PJs are great! I hope they soften up - maybe try the trick of washing them in coke? Those rubber ducks are also very cute and remind me of The Rubber Duck Deficiency - one of my favorite Big Bang episodes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Big Bang Theory, I couldn't possibly pick a favorite. I have never heard of washing in coke. They are stiff, but they will likely last forever because of it.

      Delete
  3. Yay pj's! Both pairs are awesome. I love your searsucka, it's so colourful. My post is on hold pending sewing machine cooperation. So very close to being done but not quite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, these are so great, I want to come over and steal them! I love the fabric and your plaid matching is really good and I'll bet took you ages and ages to do eh? ;) The ducky gift for your friend is quacktacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it would even occur to me to match the plaid on seersucka PJs. Just sayin'. (OK glad to read it was accidental! ;) ) These look great. Those are very happy ducks. Although I suspect they really want to be part of a bathrobe. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rubber ducky PJs are for a friend who lives with The Husband and me and the four hairy beasts. She is cold almost 100% of the time, a flannelette bathrobe would not be anywhere near warm enough. Not even close, even in the middle of summer.

      Delete
  6. Hats off to you for such matching skills! No modelled shot? You are trying to distract us with your cure doggies!
    LOVE the insane rubber duckie print! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were photos taken of me in the jammies, but I look far too "fluffy" in the photos for my liking. Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  7. I love mah duckies! Thank you for making them ♥

    I did attempt a fancy model pose (key word - attempt) only to be told by Elle "You look like someone just crumpled you up and left you there." Le sigh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great PJs! I love the fabric & I too love the detail of a satisfying drawstring button hole placement (having made a few mistakes in the past!). Your bedfellows are too cute! And the second pair with turquoise socks - to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute PJs. And yes I am dazzled my the matching plaids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute PJs. And yes I am dazzled my the matching plaids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both pairs are super cute. I'm a sucker for seersucker, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I too am dazzled by the matching plaid. It all comes down to the tongue position, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete